Problem with Access and MSCOMCTL.OCX

frank hertoghs

Nov 15, 2000, 3:00:00 AM11/15/00
We use the Microsoft Image list and Treeview control version 6.0
(MSCOMCTL.OCX) in a MS Access 97 database.
On some machines we get the following error when opening a form
containing the treeview control:
"runtime error 35613 Imagelist must be initialized before it can be
used."
We use the Microsoft Setup Toolkit to deploy the database, including the
MS Access run-time files.
Can anyone help?

Frank Hertoghs
Acto Informatisering BV
Amersfoort -The Netherlands

Hans-Chr. Francke

Nov 15, 2000, 3:00:00 AM11/15/00

There are several known issues with the TreeView and ImageList controls:
1. Don't copy controls - create them from scratch in every form
2. Always look for the latest version of the control when deploying
3. Include the .OCX with your setup and make sure it is registered

"frank hertoghs" <f.her...@acto.nl> wrote in message

Alex Dybenko

Nov 15, 2000, 5:28:25 PM11/15/00
one more - if you assign imagelist property in OnOpen event

Alex

"Hans-Chr. Francke" <nofr...@online.nono> wrote in message

Hans-Chr. Francke

Nov 16, 2000, 3:00:00 AM11/16/00
Thanks Alex, wasn't aware of that one.

"Alex Dybenko" <al...@cemi.rssi.ru> wrote in message

frank hertoghs

Nov 16, 2000, 3:00:00 AM11/16/00
to Hans-Chr. Francke
Thanks,

1. I only have one imagelist control in the application. However, I may have
been copied it from another one, which was later removed. Can this be the
problem?
2. I already tried a newer version of MSCOMCTL.OCX.
3. I have registered it.

Another possibilty:
The Setup Toolkit automatically deploys many DLL's for the Access run-time
files. The language is English.
The target machines have dutch versions. During setup we skip the files that
already have a dutch version installed.

Frank

frank hertoghs

Nov 16, 2000, 3:00:00 AM11/16/00
to Hans-Chr. Francke
Thanks,

I set the imageList property at design time, not at run time.
However, I do populate the Treeview in the OnLoad event. Could this be the
problem?
I still don't understand why the problem doesn't occur on all machines.

Frank

"Hans-Chr. Francke" schreef:

> Thanks Alex, wasn't aware of that one.

frank hertoghs

frank hertoghs

Nov 16, 2000, 3:00:00 AM11/16/00

"Hans-Chr. Francke" schreef:

> There are several known issues with the TreeView and ImageList controls:

Hans-Chr. Francke

Nov 16, 2000, 3:00:00 AM11/16/00

I use the OnLoad event to populate the TreeView's I use and they are
distributed to several other users on various environment. Thus I don't
think that would be any problem.

> Thanks,
>
> I set the imageList property at design time, not at run time.
> However, I do populate the Treeview in the OnLoad event. Could this be the
> problem?
> I still don't understand why the problem doesn't occur on all machines.
>
> Frank
>

> "Hans-Chr. Francke" schreef:
>
> > Thanks Alex, wasn't aware of that one.

Hans-Chr. Francke

Nov 16, 2000, 3:00:00 AM11/16/00

It certainly can. Remove the ImageList control and reinsert from scratch to
see if the problem disappear.

> Thanks,
>
> 1. I only have one imagelist control in the application. However, I may
have
> been copied it from another one, which was later removed. Can this be the
> problem?
> 2. I already tried a newer version of MSCOMCTL.OCX.
> 3. I have registered it.
>
> Another possibilty:
> The Setup Toolkit automatically deploys many DLL's for the Access run-time
> files. The language is English.
> The target machines have dutch versions. During setup we skip the files
that
> already have a dutch version installed.
>
> Frank

frank hertoghs

Nov 16, 2000, 3:00:00 AM11/16/00
I tried, but it still doesn't work. Thanks anyway.

Frank

Tony Toews

Nov 17, 2000, 3:00:00 AM11/17/00
frank hertoghs <f.her...@acto.nl> wrote:

>I still don't understand why the problem doesn't occur on all machines.

There's probably a version problem with the mscomctl.ocx file and/or
it's dependencies. Those machines with the problem have a newer
version of those files.

You can use the free Version Checker MDB available from my website to
help examine these at remote systems.

The solution then is to ensure you use the most current version of the
controls yourself. MS have a set of web pages call DLL Help which may
be of some assistance.

Tony
----
Tony Toews, Microsoft Access MVP
read the entire thread of messages.
http://www.granite.ab.ca/accsmstr.htm
VolStar http://www.volstar.com Manage hundreds or
thousands of volunteers for special events.

Frank Hertoghs

Nov 22, 2000, 3:00:00 AM11/22/00
Thanks,

The VersionInfo tool was exactly what I needed!
The problem was indeed caused by different versions of OCX's and DLL's.

Frank