Graphite reported is not getting any metrics from Meters

Łukasz Wiecheć

Jul 5, 2017, 5:35:38 AM7/5/17
to metrics-user
Hi everyone,

is it normal that Graphite reporter is not sending any values from Meter instanced? I can see them when I use JMXReporter (in my case, I use VisualVM).

Cheers,
Ł. Wiecheć

Erik van Oosten

Jul 5, 2017, 6:53:41 AM7/5/17
to metric...@googlegroups.com
Hi Łukasz,

As far as I know that is not normal.

It could be that you hit the bug that when the graphite reporter loses the connection to Graphite, it does not reconnect. This is fixed in more recent versions. Another option is that the reporter is configured with a filter and that the meter falls in it.

Kind regards,
    Erik.

Łukasz Wiecheć

Jul 5, 2017, 9:42:33 AM7/5/17
to metrics-user
Hi Erik, thanks for the answer. I will check the filtering but I thought us=
ing 'MetricFilter.ALL', which implies no filtering.

I am using the latest version (3.2.3).

I also thought that there is something fishy going on with Graphite, so ins=
tead I started good ole' netcat utility to listen on port 2003 on local mac=
hine; it dumps whatever comes to this port. That's how I know that the Mete=
rs are not pushed...

Erik van Oosten

Jul 5, 2017, 10:59:09 AM7/5/17
to metric...@googlegroups.com
Another thing you have to take into consideration is that Graphite has a maximum number of new metrics per minute. It may take some time for new metrics to show up.

Kind regards,
    Erik.

Łukasz Wiecheć

Jul 10, 2017, 5:04:17 AM7/10/17
to metrics-user
Hi Erik,

I figured out what was wrong: I think it might be a bug in 'metrics-graphite'; I created an issue on github.