Anyone interested in metric-ing to CloudWatch?

Benson Margulies

Feb 15, 2016, 11:35:11 AM2/15/16
to metric...@googlegroups.com
https://github.com/basis-technology-corp/metrics-cloudwatch-reporter

I haven't made a release of this yet; I'm all ears for critical commentary.

Ryan W Tenney

Feb 15, 2016, 12:17:17 PM2/15/16
to metric...@googlegroups.com
Does it report anything besides min, max, sum and count? If it isn't reporting percentiles then it isn't reporting any meaningful data.

Additionally I'd strongly recommend not logging every metric value as they are reported, or at very least using slf4j's log format capabilities:

Instead of:
LOG.debug(String.format("timer %s %s", met.getKey(), stats));

Do this:
LOG.debug("timer {} {}", met.getKey(), stats);

This is more efficient than String.format if the logger is enabled, and if the logger is disabled it avoids constructing the log message string, which can be quite expensive in a hot code path.

Ryan

On Mon, Feb 15, 2016 at 11:35 AM Benson Margulies <ben...@basistech.com> wrote:
https://github.com/basis-technology-corp/metrics-cloudwatch-reporter

I haven't made a release of this yet; I'm all ears for critical commentary.

Benson Margulies

Feb 15, 2016, 12:26:03 PM2/15/16
to metric...@googlegroups.com
On Mon, Feb 15, 2016 at 5:17 PM, Ryan W Tenney <ry...@10e.us> wrote:

Does it report anything besides min, max, sum and count? If it isn't reporting percentiles then it isn't reporting any meaningful data.

Would you report percentiles as additional CW metrics? For a single CW value, the StatisticsSet is the only info I can deliver. So I guess it would require a convention to make more of them.

To tell you the truth, I'm mostly interested in simple gauges as potential autoscale triggers.

Additionally I'd strongly recommend not logging every metric value as they are reported, or at very least using slf4j's log format capabilities:

Instead of:
LOG.debug(String.format("timer %s %s", met.getKey(), stats));

Do this:
LOG.debug("timer {} {}", met.getKey(), stats);

This is more efficient than String.format if the logger is enabled, and if the logger is disabled it avoids constructing the log message string, which can be quite expensive in a hot code path.

Yea, I plan to yank out the DEBUG entries before releasing and using in production.