Metrics SQL

Gérald Quintana

Dec 2, 2014, 2:22:40 PM12/2/14
to metric...@googlegroups.com
Hello,

Based on the awesome Metrics library, I developped something to monitor queries issued at the JDBC level.

Code and documentation: https://github.com/gquintana/metrics-sql
First binaries and javadoc are in Sonatype staging repository at the moment...

Feedback and bug reports appreciated,
Gérald

JAC

Mar 7, 2015, 4:35:18 AM3/7/15
to metric...@googlegroups.com
First of all I have to tell you the excellent work you did with metrics-sql
It is the tool I have been looking for a long time.

I am working in a utility company where a lot of processes are daily executed to bill our customers.
All these processes are built in JAVA and the data is stored in Oracle. The processes are launched by a job
scheduler (Control-M)

As you can guess there are slowness problems in the database side:

1.- The executed SQL sentences are really complex.
2.- Each process runs thousands of SQL sentences.
3.- The DB desing is complex. Hundreds of tables in a highly normalized datamodel, some of witch are storing millions of records.

Few times we have found performance problems in others non-database areas.

A couple of weeks ago, I found your library and I immediately realiced it could be used to help us to gather db activity in a detailed way.

I added a couple of new classes (a new Reporter and my own MetricRegistryHolder) to match with our requeriments and enviroment.

In attach, you'll find the reports we get. Basically, each file generated has the same information you get in yours. I added an extra column
with the hash of the SQL sentence. We have the information of all SQL sentences together in each file. We'll use Microsoft Excell to generate reports.
I still have to modify the report to add a new file where the equvalence between the hash and the SQL sentence could be looked up.

I also found a bug running the metrics-sql with Oracle. The bug was fixed. The JDBC URL created by Metrics-jdbc wasn't well formed
from a Oracle point of view. May be, this bug can affect to another JDBC drivers.

Please, let me know if you want further information. It'll be a pleasure to share it with the project.

cheers,

Juan
java.sql.PreparedStatement_exec.csv

Gérald Quintana

Mar 7, 2015, 1:55:16 PM3/7/15
to metric...@googlegroups.com
Hi Juan,

I am really happy that this piece of code helped someone.

Feel free to create issues in github and/or submit pull requests about your CSV report improvements or your Oracle bug.

Regards,
Gérald