Forecast layers uncovered

MetOffice DataPoint

Feb 24, 2014, 6:24:55 AM2/24/14
to metoffice...@googlegroups.com
A number of you have raised queries about the timing of the updates for the forecast map layers, so after some investigation by the appropriate technical people we now have a definitive answer. We'll be updating the product pages and documentation to reflect what we have found.

·         The Forecast layers are produced 4 times a day.

·         Because of the time taken for post-processing, it is around 3 hours after the model run before the post-processed data starts arriving in the database.

·         Because the data does not arrive all at once, our weather graphics system is configured to leave an additional 20 minutes before retrieving the data and creating the layers, otherwise some of the layers may not get updated

·         Hence the Forecast layers should become available around 3 hrs 20 mins after the model run time

·         If the data arrives in the database late, it will still be picked up and the layers produced

·         If there is a failure upstream and the data doesn’t arrive at all, the existing layers will remain available.

Having done some monitoring since the enquiries were made, it does seem that DataPoint has been in step with what was available on the PWS.

If you found this useful please let us know.

Regards

Clare