Moored Buoy Station 62303 (Pembroke)

Geoff Stanley

Mar 8, 2014, 11:28:48 AM3/8/14
to metoffice...@googlegroups.com
Hi all,

I've just joined this group after a prolonged and unsuccessful search for data from the buoy 62303 over the past couple of years. I'm hoping for visibility data but relative humidity and other data would be helpful as well. Is this something that is freely available for academic research?

Many thanks,
Geoff

---
Geoff Stanley
DPhil student in Atmospheric, Oceanic, & Planetary Physics
Department of Physics
University of Oxford

mike

Mar 8, 2014, 12:20:01 PM3/8/14
to metoffice...@googlegroups.com
Have you tried http://badc.nerc.ac.uk/ BADC (British Atmospheric Data Centre)  ?    This should be the usual route to obtain Met Office data for UK researchers.   If they don't have it already I'm sure the folks there will help you get it in a way that ensures others can also access the data.

Regards,

Michael Saunby

mike saunby

Mar 8, 2014, 12:23:44 PM3/8/14
to metoffice...@googlegroups.com
Geoff,

Hint - what you're after is most likely in the MetDB data set, but I
haven't checked.

Regards,

Michael
http://saunby.net

Geoff Stanley

Mar 8, 2014, 12:30:13 PM3/8/14
to metoffice...@googlegroups.com
Many thanks, Michael! I suspect that I might find it in here:

I will report back once I've registered and had a look, to see if indeed that buoy's data is in there.

Thanks again,
Geoff

MetOffice DataPoint

Mar 11, 2014, 5:34:38 AM3/11/14
to metoffice...@googlegroups.com
Hi Geoff

On our website we use names rather than the WMO code - 62303 is Turbot Bank. Looking at the Marine Obs pages http://www.metoffice.gov.uk/public/weather/marine-observations/#?tab=last24hoursMarine. it looks like there is limted data available from this buoy. I would be surpised if there was other data available.

Clare

Geoff Stanley

Mar 11, 2014, 6:36:18 AM3/11/14
to metoffice...@googlegroups.com
Thanks Clare! You're right, I'll need more than just the past 24 hours of data, but I will look for that name in the BADC dataset once I get it.
Will let you know,
Geoff

Michael Saunby

Mar 11, 2014, 6:54:01 AM3/11/14
to Geoff Stanley, metoffice...@googlegroups.com
For marine data always worth checking ICOADS too.

Chris Wood

Mar 13, 2014, 12:43:35 PM3/13/14
to metoffice...@googlegroups.com
It might be worth checking with the BODC (British Oceanographic Data Centre: www.bodc.ac.uk) too, they might hold some info since it's a 'marine' object, especially if the info from it has been used in marine research and has been passed to them by third party researchers.

Chris