Post code look up

MetOffice DataPoint

Feb 23, 2015, 4:46:30 AM2/23/15
to metoffice...@googlegroups.com
Hi

We had an enquiry recently about being able to do postcode look up for our site lists.

One of our developers has provided the following advice.

If using Python then then you can use the ‘Postcodes’ python library to convert postcode to lat/long and then matched those against the site-lat/long pairs.  https://pypi.python.org/pypi/Postcodes/0.1

Looking at the source code for that library, it’s just making API calls to this site: http://www.uk-postcodes.com/api so you could alway go to this page direct. The page also lists a couple of other libraries that use it’s data.

I hope this helps

Clare

Mark Greenall

Feb 23, 2015, 9:32:59 AM2/23/15
to metoffice...@googlegroups.com

I would like to add to this...

If you are looking to build a standalone service where you do not want to rely on a third party for postcode lookups, then an alternative is to download/import the Ordinance Survey Code Point dataset.