Convert "UK observations capabilities feed" from JSON/XML to flat table structure

Ellen Forrest

Jun 5, 2015, 10:43:12 AM6/5/15
to metoffice...@googlegroups.com
Hi All,

I've recently started working with the Met Office Data - initially the UK observations data - and am trying to convert the XML/JSON data into a regular flat table structure.

I have tried this using R Studio, Qlikview and Alteryx and so far have had no luck.

I was wondering if anyone else had needed to do this, and if so what solution you used?

Any advice would be much appreciated!

Thanks,
El

Kevin Holloway

Jul 22, 2015, 7:55:01 AM7/22/15
to Met Office DataPoint
Hi El

I've been working with datapoint feeds for an IOS/ANDROID app over the last couple of months.

The easiest way to convert the XML/JSON format is either with a small piece of PHP code on a server, or using javascript in a browser. What do you need to do with the table once converted?

Kevin

mike

Jul 22, 2015, 8:22:32 AM7/22/15
to Met Office DataPoint
There's some Python code here https://github.com/msaunby/carto-obs that downloads obs data and uploads to CartoDB as a table.  See https://msaunby.cartodb.com/viz/97ec329e-aebb-11e4-aeae-0e9d821ea90d/table for an example.

Michael