3 hour NWP data

Bruce Messer

Jan 21, 2015, 6:27:22 AM1/21/15
to metoffice...@googlegroups.com
Hi

I realise that the 3 hourly NWP data is adjusted hourly through the day, but I wonder just how many model runs are actually used each day and at what time they change?

I suspect that it might be limited to just the 0000 and 1200 UTC runs and as far as I can see from the XML I can't find the time of origin to indicate precisely which model run it came from.

One final question! Is the model data that the DataPoint service uses, the same model data that you send to the BBC for its graphics?

Bruce.

MetOffice DataPoint

Jan 29, 2015, 12:08:13 PM1/29/15
to metoffice...@googlegroups.com
Hi Bruce

I hope the following helps answer your question.

In any one day we run a number of forecast models spread through-out the day to minimise the peak load on our supercomputer.  The forecasts from eight models are combined to produce the site specific forecasts that are available in the UK Site Specific 3 hourly and Daily forecast data feed. This combining process happens each hour, so the data is as up-to-date as we can make it.

The site specific data provided to the BBC, available via their website, app and presented on-screen, is also used on the Met Office website and for DataPoint. The Met Office is very careful to ensure consistency between our website and BBC.

However, the BBC’s TV map graphics are based on the most recent European model data for the UK area, and global model data for the rest of the world.

Regards

Clare