Observation data - limited

andy powell

Jan 18, 2015, 9:57:50 AM1/18/15
to metoffice...@googlegroups.com
I have noticed recently that when querying for observation data from local site ( Leuchars for me ) that the returned data is incomplete - mainly just the meta data associated with the data. I have tried various other site ids to see if they too return partial data and for the most part find they also are incomplete.

For instance:
Heathrow
http://datapoint.metoffice.gov.uk/public/data/val/wxobs/all/xml/3772?key=<KEY>&res=hourly this is OK
Leuchars
http://datapoint.metoffice.gov.uk/public/data/val/wxobs/all/xml/3171?key=<KEY>&res=hourly is not OK.

Is this to be expected? I'm sure that this site (Leuchars) used to return full obs data....

Also, from the api documents - specifically the pdf ( http://www.metoffice.gov.uk/media/pdf/3/0/DataPoint_API_reference.pdf )
I have attempted on numerous occasions to obtain nationalpark data using a url like this:-

http://datapoint.metoffice.gov.uk/public/data/txt/wxfcs/nationalpark/xml/sitelist?key=<KEY>
which follows the prescribed format in the documentation exactly
http://datapoint.metoffice.gov.uk/public/data/txt/wxfcs/nationalpark/xml/sitelist?key=01234567-89ab-cdef-0123-456789abcdef
This always returns a 404 error. Is this expected? Is there an issue or have I misformed the url somehow that I cannot see?

Tim Channon

Jan 18, 2015, 8:31:42 PM1/18/15
to andy powell, metoffice...@googlegroups.com
Leuchars is offline.

Stations come and go, usually vanish for a few days, apart from the
frequent dropouts, presumably communication failure. There again maybe
the top blew off. :-)
Whole network down is rare.

Got it, went phut at 16:00 13th January 2015
This is the last data I have, search on name or ID, page 6. Nothing
exceptional weatherwise showing.
https://daedalearth.files.wordpress.com/2015/01/uk-2015-01-14-0045.pdf
(1MB) Header map might be useful to folks. Vector so zoom as needed.
Non-ideal plots, gives an idea of weather.

Officially why, I expect an explanation will appear shortly.

andy powell

Jan 19, 2015, 6:53:51 PM1/19/15
to metoffice...@googlegroups.com

Tim, thank you for the info and advice - good to know I was not necessarily doing anything wrong! The map - thanks for that, that could be very handy.
Andy

MetOffice DataPoint

Jan 20, 2015, 8:15:46 AM1/20/15
to metoffice...@googlegroups.com
National Parks was retired last year see http://www.metoffice.gov.uk/datapoint/support/notifications

National Parks weather forecasts

Please note the National Park weather forecasts will cease to be available with effect from Tuesday 1 April 2014.

Apologies for not updating the API support document, I'll put a request in to get that updated ASAP.

Thanks Clare