DataPoint access over SSL (HTTPS)

John Tidmus

Sep 5, 2014, 12:45:55 AM9/5/14
to metoffice...@googlegroups.com
Can the DataPoint APIs be accessed over a secure SSL (HTTPS) connection?

thanks

john

MetOffice DataPoint

Sep 16, 2014, 9:49:25 AM9/16/14
to metoffice...@googlegroups.com
Hi John, apologies for delay in reply. I have had the following answer to your question form our support team:

DataPoint cannot be accessed over SSL (HTTPS).

Therefore, The user cannot hide their key when their software makes requests, this is a known issue.

We are aware of this as an issue and are working on improving authentication to resolve it. This is likely to be implemented in the New year.

Regards

Clare

Jonathan Homer

Mar 14, 2016, 4:23:59 PM3/14/16
to Met Office DataPoint
It has been over a year from this posting.  Is there an update.  My website is secure and thus every connection must be secure.  So I am stuck with a great resource and the inability to use it because of security.

Thanks
Jon

mike

Mar 15, 2016, 5:52:20 AM3/15/16
to Met Office DataPoint
Have you considered alternate APIs?  https://developer.forecast.io/ already uses SSL and is quite likely better maintained at present.  I know they source data from Met Office, but I can't say whether you'll get the same results.

Michael

Chris Wraith

Mar 15, 2016, 6:30:55 AM3/15/16
to Met Office DataPoint
If you application has any server side components, you could always proxy to the Met Office Datapoint service from the server side - that way the connection from the web browser to your site would be secure and you’d be able to use the Met Office APIs directly.

signature.asc

Nick Hopkins

Mar 25, 2017, 7:32:10 AM3/25/17
to Met Office DataPoint
Any update on the API's becoming TLS v 1.2 compliant?
Apple have now blocked direct http requests so all apps that use http web services will no longer work.