R package for Datapoint

Neil Charles

Mar 5, 2018, 6:02:42 AM3/5/18
to metoffice...@googlegroups.com
Any R users in the group might be interested in this one. I searched and couldn't find an R package for Datapoint so built a small one that facilitates searching for sites and retrieving forecast and past 24 hours observation data.

I haven't implemented other parts of the API yet because I don't have a need for them myself, but shout if they'd be useful and I'd be happy to take a look.

dhin...@djhindley.com

May 11, 2018, 9:30:52 AM5/11/18
to Met Office DataPoint
Hi - this looks very useful, but I am having trouble installing it.  It might be a generic error with my Rstudio/R set up (something perhaps to do with spaces in my temp directory - which makes it difficult for me to use devtools - see below). I tried using a different approach - "githubinstall" package, and that seems to suggest your repo is not registered and that there is another package called meteoR from "eliocamp", so I can't install your meteoR using githubinstall package.  Any ideas welcome, as I'd really like to try your package. Thanks.

> devtools::install_github("neilcharles/meteoR")
Downloading GitHub repo neilcharles/meteoR@master
Installing meteoR
"C:/Software/R/R-3.3.2/bin/x64/R" --no-site-file --no-environ --no-save --no-restore --quiet CMD INSTALL "C:/Users/David  \
  Hindley/AppData/Local/Temp/RtmpGYCeF7/devtools61c7fab534f/neilcharles-meteoR-276bbd3"  \
  --library="C:/Software/R/R-3.3.2/library" --install-tests

* installing *source* package 'meteoR' ...
** R
** data
*** moving datasets to lazyload DB
** preparing package for lazy loading
** help
*** installing help indices
** building package indices
** testing if installed package can be loaded
*** arch - i386
Fatal error: cannot open file 'C:\Users\David': Permission denied

*** arch - x64
Fatal error: cannot open file 'C:\Users\David': Permission denied

ERROR: loading failed for 'i386', 'x64'
* removing 'C:/Software/R/R-3.3.2/library/meteoR'
Installation failed: Command failed (1)

Neil Charles

May 21, 2018, 6:22:12 AM5/21/18
to Met Office DataPoint
I'm not expert enough in R package naming to be able to help, sorry. I picked a name that's not on CRAN but didn't check github for other possible clashes.

Not being able to use devtools::install_github sounds like a pain!

You should be able to download the whole github project to a folder. If you then open it as a project in RStudio you can compile it yourself and install it manually.