Precipitation in Raingauge

Garry Tirrell

Mar 10, 2015, 3:54:12 AM3/10/15
to met-off...@googlegroups.com
When reading the raingauge at 9am even though there was no dew or precipitation since the last reading there could be 0.2mm or more  in the raingauge . By my observations the raingauge was emptied too quick and was not let to drain properly resulting in precipitation clinging to the side of the gauge. Experiment and see what I mean.

Callum Presley

Mar 11, 2015, 5:16:42 PM3/11/15
to met-off...@googlegroups.com
Hi

Is it a standard Mk2 rain gauge? It is possible for water to drain down the sides of the bottle after emptying. If there was no precipitation or dew it could be as a result of fog, hoar frost or rime.