locustworld and chillispot

50 vues

adr...@adrcommunications.co.uk

non lue,
25 mai 2008, 18:21:1125/05/2008
à Mesh wireless
Hi all

Does anyone have any details on running chillspot on LW nodes, We are
sick of splash down and are looking to solve the issue by ether
changing to another type of system or getting chillispot to work, I
prefer he later as we have spent so much time and money building our
network and integrating all of our billing systems.

Splash down is a real pain in the ars and needs fixing or chucking, i
know that Nocat suffers this issue from berth and it was a bad choice
to use this. Chillispot is great and i have heard that people have got
this working on LW and would love to get this working to.

Also does any know if qcode has fixed the splashd error, i would
gladly buy the software to fix this error, as LW can not be arsed.

Any help or instruction would be great.

Adrian

Nick halln@clannet.co.uk

non lue,
26 mai 2008, 05:53:1626/05/2008
à Mesh wireless

Hi,

Splashd is our biggest embarassment and failures are frequent as
pointed out many times on this forum.
I have to tell my customers to go and put the teapot on while splash
restarts after 10-15 mins or so.

Quorvos say they have it fixed but you might want to check this with
someone who is using it on this forum ie Steve Ward at Austwick Mesh.

You could set up a dd-wrt box at the gateway to authenticate with
chillispot on your own radius and web servers. That could be a steep
learning curve that makes it time prohibitive.(true in my case!)

OR

Try an 'all in one' solution like zeroshell. Although designed for
wired networks it does almost everything we want apart from accounting
(which is under active developmemt) Its biggest attraction is level 7
protocol filters which is going to be the only way to regulate the
likes of BBC iplayer. I am finding it really easy to set up and highly
reliable and making a great job of taming the excess's of iplayer.

It would fit into an old meshbox with two ethernet cards and a 1GB Cf
card or you can run the live CD version.
Zeroshell's captive portal is native and integrated with LDAP and I
have not had a failure yet. It uses a token system to auto
reauthenticate a user in the background every 5 mins which requires
that the logoff webpage that appears on login to stay open. This also
allows log off ; a much asked for feature to protect the kids.

The box takes 10mins to make and 10 mins to setup so zero...shell...
is a good description.
I have just been trying it with setting a meshbox to be transparent
for the zeroshell captive portal. ie meshbox captive portal 'off' and
'open/guest access' in wiana. It works just fine.

In my view Zeroshell take us one step closer to life after
locustworld!
In combination with our Meshmon software (see
http://www.clannet.co.uk//index.php?option=com_content&task=view&id=15&Itemid=3
) we think we are close to a working solution.

Like you, I spent too much time looking for solutions!
I dont know your requirement for your billing solution perhaps you
could specify?

Best regards,

Nick

Adrian (ADR Communications Ltd)

non lue,
26 mai 2008, 06:19:5126/05/2008
à mes...@googlegroups.com
Hi Nick,

I have looked a zeroshell but only briefly, i have ran this on VMware to
test, and i agree it looks like a possible solution , well at least for our
hotels users that do not require roaming between sites.

I'm going to have another play with this, We really would like to use wiana
still as our radius, but we have built a free radius server and may start
looking at that again. One way to get around the splashd is to get all
customers to login via a VPN session, but then you are limited to the speed
classes on wiana and customers intelligence.

We use DDWRT on our network as a structured mesh that uses LW node as a
captive portal, this does work well. DDWRT (buffalo)with chillispot fails
after a customer has been connected for appoxs 10mins due to the ddwrt
running out of memory, so that project has been put on hold at the min.

i know that LW has the ability to run chillispot and works with wiana as i
have seen the boxes in wiana pro. just need instructions, and i would be
happy to pay for LW if it worked.

Adrian

Hi,

OR

Best regards,

Nick

18:49

dmg

non lue,
26 mai 2008, 07:33:1226/05/2008
à Mesh wireless

On May 26, 11:19 am, "Adrian \(ADR Communications Ltd\)"
> In combination with our Meshmon software (seehttp://www.clannet.co.uk//index.php?option=com_content&task=view&id=1...
> d=3
> ) we think we are close to a working solution.
>
> Like you, I spent too much time looking for solutions!
> I dont know your requirement for your billing solution perhaps you
> could specify?
>
> Best regards,
>
> Nick
>
> --
> 18:49

Hi Adrian
We don’t use chillispot so I am sorry I cant help much with that..
As to Qnode I am still testing it out and at the moment I am waiting
for WDS prisim support in the new Qcode v4 before I can progress

Regards

Steve Ward
Répondre à tous
Répondre à l'auteur