(FIMO) How to run FIMO using a specific motif in the combined.meme output file?

Leonardo Jo

Nov 1, 2017, 4:02:39 PM11/1/17
to MEME Suite Q&A
Hello everyone,

I recently ran MEME-ChIP to perform a de novo discovery analysis on different ChIP-Seq datasets,
That allowed me to identify three distinct motifs and their variations.

I was really satisfied with the result because those are the expected motifs.
I was hoping now to perform FIMO to identify the presence of these motifs in a different dataset,
command:
> fimo combined.meme sequences.fa
However, FIMO is scanning all motifs at the same time when I use the combined.meme motif file.
I was wondering if there is a way to perform FIMO on only specific set of group of motifs in the meme-chip output (MEME, DREME, Centrimo), I tried the --motif option, and I wasn't able to make it work.
Do you guys know how to separate the meme output and create a .meme file for each one of the motifs identified?!
Thank you very much,

cegrant

Nov 8, 2017, 3:34:15 PM11/8/17
to MEME Suite Q&A
I was wondering if there is a way to perform FIMO on only specific set of group of motifs in the meme-chip output (MEME, DREME, Centrimo), I tried the --motif option, and I wasn't able to make it work

The '--motif' option is the correct choice. You can repeat the option multiple times if you want to scan multiple motifs. For example

fimo --motif GTGATSDDBKTCACA --motif AACAATTTCA combined.meme sequences.fa

The strings after --motif should be the identifier for the motif.

If you post the command line you used we might be able to spot the problem.