DREME: What is the meaning of letters that are not DNA or RNA letters

Malik Yousef

Sep 16, 2016, 9:23:42 AM9/16/16
to MEME Suite Q&A
Hi
1. I'm running dreme and getting motifs that consists from letters that are not DNA or RNA letters such as seq="TKTATTW"

How to read those letters?

2. How one can get the output of DREME as MEME in text mode?

Best
Malik

CharlesEGrant

Sep 16, 2016, 3:38:09 PM9/16/16
to meme-...@googlegroups.com
Hi Malik

The IUPAC DNA and RNA alphabets contains ambiguity symbols as well as symbols for the nucleotides. See also the MEME Suite documentation on alphabets.

The dreme.txt file generated DREME is in MEME text format. There should be a link to this file in the results for your job. You can also download MEME format files for individual motifs from the DREME HTML page. Click on the right pointing arrow in the "Submit/Download" column, then choose the "Download Motif" tab and click on the download button.

Charles

Malik Yousef

Sep 16, 2016, 4:09:56 PM9/16/16
to MEME Suite Q&A
Thanks for your reply...
I see only the file dreme.xml and not dreme.txt.

I need to have the same output of DREME as MEME in the same format...how to do that?

Malik

Malik Yousef

Sep 16, 2016, 4:24:46 PM9/16/16
to MEME Suite Q&A
I need to say that i'm running the command line from Cygwin.

CharlesEGrant

Sep 16, 2016, 4:31:02 PM9/16/16
to MEME Suite Q&A
If you are only getting the dreme.xml file that would indicate that DREME is crashing before it's finished. Are you seeing any error messages in the DREME output? Were there any error messages in the build or installation process? This sort of error is mostly commonly caused by a missing module.

Malik Yousef

Sep 17, 2016, 1:23:50 AM9/17/16
to MEME Suite Q&A
Yes i saw and error messages.

Malik Yousef

Sep 17, 2016, 1:26:50 AM9/17/16
to MEME Suite Q&A
Creating HTML file.
      0 [main] python2.7 6148 child_info_fork::abort: address space needed by 'cyg                                                                   z.dll' (0x300000) is already occupied
Traceback (most recent call last):
  File "/home/user/meme/bin/dreme", line 1899, in <module>
    if __name__ == '__main__': main()
  File "/home/user/meme/bin/dreme", line 1896, in main
    run_xml_transformations(outdir)
  File "/home/user/meme/bin/dreme", line 1450, in run_xml_transformations
    if (subprocess.call([_html_prog, xml, html]) != 0):
  File "/usr/lib/python2.7/subprocess.py", line 522, in call
    return Popen(*popenargs, **kwargs).wait()
  File "/usr/lib/python2.7/subprocess.py", line 710, in __init__
    errread, errwrite)
  File "/usr/lib/python2.7/subprocess.py", line 1231, in _execute_child
    self.pid = os.fork()
OSError: [Errno 11] Resource temporarily unavailable

CharlesEGrant

Sep 19, 2016, 5:58:21 PM9/19/16
to MEME Suite Q&A
Hi Malik,

Either something is wrong with your Cygwin installation or something went wrong with your installation of MEME Suite. Are you using the 32-bit or 64-bit version of Cygwin? We recommend the 64-bit version and have not tested MEME Suite with the 32-bit version for a few years. If you are running the 64-bit version of Cygwin I'd recommend reconfiguring and re-building MEME Suite, taking careful note of any error messages. That is, I'd recommend re-running these steps:

./configure
make clean
make &> make.log
make test &>test.log

You should check the files config.log, make.log, and test.log for any error messages. If you do find error messages please forward us the files. That will help us troubleshoot the problem.

Malik Yousef

Sep 20, 2016, 1:03:12 AM9/20/16
to MEME Suite Q&A
Hi Charles
I have replied in private as i need to send couple of files.

Best
Malik