GC content normalization in discriminative de novo motif analysis

Emi Ling

Apr 20, 2017, 11:45:37 AM4/20/17
to MEME Suite Q&A
Hello,

I am trying to perform discriminative de novo motif analysis using the command-line version of MEME-ChIP, and I am wondering whether MEME-ChIP automatically performs GC content normalization in such cases. My initial MEME-ChIP run identified several motifs with DREME that I am concerned are possibly due to biases in the local GC content (<30bp from the center of the supplied sequences). I have roughly 10 times as many control sequences as my primary ones, which hopefully allows the program to select an appropriately matched subset of control sequences.

Thank you.

noble

Apr 21, 2017, 2:21:22 PM4/21/17
to meme-...@googlegroups.com
MEME adjusts for the biases in letters and groups of letters using the background model
that you provide.  A 1-order model (made using fasta-get-markov) adjusts for dimer biases
(like GC).

DREME does not use a background model, and normalization depends on the control
dataset it is provide with.  MEME-ChIP uses fasta-shuffle-letters with -kmer 2, preserving
dimer frequencies.  You could try manually creating a -kmer 3 (or higher) set of shuffled
sequences, and rerunning DREME with them.  Refer to the "Program Information" section
of your MEME-ChIP output to see how you would do this.

Note that the MEME-ChIP web portal allows you to choose a higher-order background
model (for use by MEME) under "Universal Options".  That model is built from the input
sequences.  This does NOT currently affect the -kmer setting for the shuffled sequences
provided to DREME.