negative score in glam2scan

Elahe Rabiei

Feb 1, 2016, 12:27:01 PM2/1/16
to MEME Suite Q&A
hi,
I found a new motif by glam2 and searched it in databases by glam2scan. In output file, all scores were negative!!!!
what does it mean? can I use this result.
thanks
Elahe

CharlesEGrant

Feb 1, 2016, 6:02:13 PM2/1/16
to MEME Suite Q&A
Hi Elahe,

The scores provided by GLAM2 and GLAM2SCAN are not calibrated. Within a run, motifs or matches with higher scores are more significant then motifs or matches with lower scores, but you can't compare scores  between runs. However, it may be that the motif identified by GLAM2 is not statistically significant. Please refer to the section titled "Significance of glam2 motifs" at the end of the GLAM2 tutorial for advice on estimating the statistical significance of the motifs found by GLAM2.

Charles