Re: Issue 149 in memcached: memcached.exe exits with Failed to ignore SIGHUP

memc...@googlecode.com

Aug 17, 2010, 11:09:53 PM8/17/10
to memc...@googlegroups.com
Updates:

Comment #11 on issue 149 by ingenthr: memcached.exe exits with Failed to
ignore SIGHUP
http://code.google.com/p/memcached/issues/detail?id=149

As I said above, -d NO LONGER SETS IT UP AS A SERVICE. The code was later
added, and then it was removed because it's really not sufficient. You
generally want to specify things like ports and amount of memory.

Use something else to wrapper it as a service.

Note: when I posted the 1.4.5 binary I suspect the bug reporter is using, I
even mentioned the change on the page:
http://labs.northscale.com/memcached-packages/

The bug remains open because it should do something other than "Failed to
ignore SIGHUP".

memc...@googlecode.com

Aug 18, 2010, 3:13:09 AM8/18/10
to memc...@googlegroups.com

Comment #12 on issue 149 by bpatru: memcached.exe exits with Failed to
ignore SIGHUP
http://code.google.com/p/memcached/issues/detail?id=149

@ ingenthr
-d does not set it up as a service but according to help makes it run as a
daemon. Do a memcached.exe -h.

Whatever parameter you want to supply to memcached when you want it as a
service you can do it:

SC create memcached binpath= "c:\memcached\145\memcached.exe -m 512 -d <and
any extra parameter here>"

So what guys did with version 1.4.5 is ok, only that -d that is supposed to
run the thing as a deamon (service in windows) is not doing the thing
correctly.

I hope they will correct this.

Basically we do not need anymore -d start / install / uninstall / stop. But
we need it as a service so new -d parameter should do its job.

memc...@googlecode.com

Aug 18, 2010, 5:32:03 AM8/18/10
to memc...@googlegroups.com

Comment #13 on issue 149 by kinguru2006: memcached.exe exits with Failed to
ignore SIGHUP
http://code.google.com/p/memcached/issues/detail?id=149

How to run memcached as a service?
On windows it is a great prbolem, if you dont know.
While creating with SC, service not starting.
HELP!

> Use something else to wrapper it as a service.

example?

memc...@googlecode.com

Aug 18, 2010, 8:57:29 AM8/18/10
to memc...@googlegroups.com

Comment #14 on issue 149 by skrolle: memcached.exe exits with Failed to
ignore SIGHUP
http://code.google.com/p/memcached/issues/detail?id=149

@kinguru:

You have two options. The first solution is to run an older version of
memcached that still can be installed and run as a service. You can
download version 1.2.6 here:
http://code.jellycan.com/memcached/

The second solution is to use SrvAny from the Microsoft resource kit, but I
have no idea if this is still supported under Vista or Windows 7 and
related server versions. More info here:
http://support.microsoft.com/kb/137890

memc...@googlecode.com

Sep 1, 2010, 10:11:15 AM9/1/10
to memc...@googlegroups.com

Comment #15 on issue 149 by dashashishkumar: memcached.exe exits with

I execute the following command from console as a administrator and it
works fine : Now it is binded to 21201 tcp port and 21202 UDP port on my
localhost.

C:\memcached-x86>memcached.exe -p 21201 -r -U 21202 -c 200 -n 65536 -l
localhost -m 128

memc...@googlecode.com

Oct 8, 2010, 9:21:18 AM10/8/10
to memc...@googlegroups.com

Comment #16 on issue 149 by webmas...@vengava.com: memcached.exe exits with

Something to add to Comment 14:

Follow the steps from:
http://support.microsoft.com/kb/137890

Repeat step 5 with these values:

Value Name: AppParameters
Data Type : REG_SZ
String : -p 11211 -m 1024

Edit to String to your needs

memc...@googlecode.com

Oct 8, 2010, 9:25:23 AM10/8/10
to memc...@googlegroups.com

Comment #17 on issue 149 by webm...@vengava.com: memcached.exe exits with

memc...@googlecode.com

Nov 11, 2010, 4:59:51 PM11/11/10
to memc...@googlegroups.com

Comment #18 on issue 149 by d...@support.com: memcached.exe exits with

Since this functionality was working for most people, why was it ripped out?

memc...@googlecode.com

Nov 11, 2010, 5:08:03 PM11/11/10
to memc...@googlegroups.com

Comment #19 on issue 149 by trond.norbye: memcached.exe exits with Failed

Because it change the semantics for the -d argument. In addition it doesn't
make any sense to add code in memcached to provide functionality microsoft
already includes through sc.exe...

memc...@googlecode.com

Nov 15, 2010, 1:30:14 AM11/15/10
to memc...@googlegroups.com

Comment #20 on issue 149 by sunny85indore: memcached.exe exits with Failed

hello experts, please tell me what i can do in case i dont have admin
privilage?

memc...@googlecode.com

Nov 15, 2010, 2:15:04 PM11/15/10
to memc...@googlegroups.com

Comment #21 on issue 149 by d...@support.com: memcached.exe exits with

But the option "-d runservice" has been removed so SC wont work. So now the
process will need to be wrapped in svrany.exe or some other "application as
a service" wrapper.

memc...@googlecode.com

Jul 12, 2011, 7:29:27 PM7/12/11
to memc...@googlegroups.com
Updates:

Comment #22 on issue 149 by dorma...@rydia.net: memcached.exe exits with

Windows users should try again with 1.6, or if someone wants to volunteer
to maintain a wiki page about Windows, please contact me for access
permissions. Leaving this all in an issue is silly.