Help needed with Membrane monitoring tool (3.2.2) on centos 32bit

vinay banakar

Feb 13, 2017, 11:11:19 AM2/13/17
to membrane...@googlegroups.com
Hello folks,

I am using membrane monitoring tool on a centos 32 bit, my goal is
monitor and record all the SOAP and http calls between VMware vCenter
client and an ESXi host.

So I am listening to port 443 and my target host ( 10.1.1.166 ) at
port 443, I have multiple interfaces so I have chosen the appropriate
one (10.1.1.189, which is my centos box ip). As the communication is
https I know I need SSL certificates.

So I created a new keystore and imported the following certificates into it:
1) A self signed certificate with domain name 10.1.1.189
2) SSL certificate of the ESXi host
and enabled the SSL/TSL connection.
Just to make sure everything is working I saved the configuration as
an XML file and analyzed it, and everything seemed okay.

But when I try to add my centos where membrane is running (10.1.1.189)
into vCenter client, I get the following error
"Cannot contact the specified host hostname\IP. The host may not be
available on the network, a network configuration problem may exist,
or the management services on this host may not be responding."

But I can ping the vCenter client server from my centos, also I ran
tcpdump on port 443 in centos, and I could see a connection was
trying to establish

tcpdump port 443

02:38:34.041444 IP 10.1.1.175.47112 > 10.1.1.189.https: Flags [S], seq
2610344453, win 29200, options [mss 1460,nop,nop,sackOK,nop,wscale 8],
length 0

But I still can't add my membrane as host in vCenter. I think it is an
SSL issue in membrane.

Can someone please help me with this issue?

Thank you
Vinay

Till Born

Mar 20, 2017, 8:38:19 AM3/20/17
to membrane-monitor
Hello Sathish Ganesan,
sorry for the late response. In general, Membrane Monitor is not under active development anymore. Have you tried Membrane Service Proxy? ( http://membrane-soa.org/service-proxy/index.htm ) It is basically a newer version of Membrane Monitor. You could try if the upgrade solves your problems.
Wish you all the best,
Till