Using Membrane as a HTTP Servlet Filter (instead of as a HTTP Servlet)

mats....@yahoo.com

May 18, 2017, 3:06:50 AM5/18/17
to membrane-monitor
Hi,

Here another question.

I am hosting a web service and Membrane as a service proxy in front of it, both on the same web server (Tomcat). (I realize this is not maybe the most common use case, nor maybe a recommended practice)

The web server is hosted at a cloud service, and the cloud service limits the number of concurrent client connections it supports.

In order not to hit the maximum number of connections, I was thinking of the possibility of having the Membrane service proxy route the incoming HTTP request to my web service application (running on the same Tomcat instance) directly, without having to establish another HTTP connection in between them.

Maybe it is possible to employ Membrane's interceptor chains as a HTTP Servlet Filter in the web container of the actual web service? Assuming the proxy and the web app were running not only on the same web server instance, but also within the same servlet container.

Note: The Membrane service proxy I have does a number of things, including rate limiting, url rewriting, header modifications etc.

Thanks for your feedback!

Mats