Hello!

1 view

Mohammed Lee

May 23, 2014, 4:54:47 AM5/23/14
to omega...@googlegroups.com
This project seems very interesting. I was looking for a space simulation when I came across this site.

Please correct me, if I misunderstood, but this framework can be used to form a really big universe, where every "player" creates and hosts his own solar system?

So if there were 1000 "player", all can connect their system with any other system. You just have to own a webserver with your own copy of omegaverse?

The user registration is also decentralized? So, if at my system an user "test1" is registered, he could fly to your system, if we were connected thru a jumpgate? What will happen, if at your system also an user "test1" is registered?

Sorry for so many questions, and sorry if I am unclear, english is not my native language.

Mo Morsi

May 23, 2014, 9:42:04 AM5/23/14
to omega...@googlegroups.com
On 05/23/2014 04:54 AM, Mohammed Lee wrote:
> This project seems very interesting. I was looking for a space
> simulation when I came across this site.
>
> Please correct me, if I misunderstood, but this framework can be used
> to form a really big universe, where every "player" creates and hosts
> his own solar system?

That's the idea :-). At least behind one use case, it's open source so
all are free to use the software as they see fit (provided they are cool
w/ the license).

See here for an example with two separate (but connected) servers:

https://github.com/movitto/omega/tree/master/examples/distributed

> So if there were 1000 "player", all can connect their system with any
> other system. You just have to own a webserver with your own copy of
> omegaverse?

+1. If this takes off I can forsee software being written that acts as
'proxies' and 'load-balencers' for Omega nodes as well as mechanism to
allow nodes to come up & down at will & respond to sudden disconnections
and such.

> The user registration is also decentralized? So, if at my system an
> user "test1" is registered, he could fly to your system, if we were
> connected thru a jumpgate? What will happen, if at your system also an
> user "test1" is registered?

Not at the moment but this is where user auth occurs:

https://github.com/movitto/omega/blob/master/lib/users/registry.rb#L127

This is invoked via the users::login json-rpc method:

https://github.com/movitto/omega/blob/master/lib/users/rjr/session.rb#L26

Have been meaning to refactor it a bit to make it more modular /
componentized and such (just haven't had the time / other higher
priority items on the list). But you can see how this can easily be tied
into a central LDAP or other authentication server allowing for
centralized user & role / permission management.

All in all Omega is very lightweight, it doesn't depend on any external
db, auth, or other, but some plugin system where things like that could
be tied in would be awesome :-)

> Sorry for so many questions, and sorry if I am unclear, english is not
> my native language.
> --

Keep those questions coming! Looked like perfect english to me :-)

Take care,
-Mo