WebGL Awesomeness (Was Re: Thanks for coming)

Mo Morsi

Jan 25, 2014, 8:28:26 AM1/25/14
to omega...@googlegroups.com
Every once in a while I'll stumble on something really cool related to the project or one of the underlying technologies and just have to share! (see a couple of my previous msgs attached below). No reason to stop now!

Just found this awesome water shader demo in three.js

https://github.com/tracend/ocean
http://jeremybouny.fr/ocean/demo/

Omega relies on three.js to handle the frontend gfx:

https://github.com/movitto/omega/blob/master/site/source/javascripts/omega.js#L14
http://threejs.org/

I've also been playing around w/ (and even sent a couple patches to) this nifty particle emitter:

https://github.com/squarefeet/ShaderParticleEngine

Allows you to do really cool effects, very simply and with good performance. This is just a random effect that I threw together quickly:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dcAMpwZIlWs

The code implementing it can be found here:

http://blog.omegaverse.info/posts/using-devjs.html

I'm no effects artist (if anyone is interested in this sort of thing, or knows someone, contributions are always welcome! :-p) but this looks like it should be great for some of the animations needed for Omega (on the list is ship destruction effects and improved star dust fields).

Lastly make sure to keep checking back, some big stuff coming in the near future!

  -Mo