alerts instead of polling for updates and events

Roger Price

Nov 14, 2016, 6:58:57 PM11/14/16
to Meetup API
How can I get alerted when something happens - eg new comments/replies in an event or new RSVPs/cancellations?

I do not want to do polling as this is inefficient but how can I get some sort of callback or alert suitable for IOS devices?

Doug Tangren

Nov 14, 2016, 7:01:50 PM11/14/16
to meetu...@googlegroups.com
On Mon, Nov 14, 2016 at 6:53 PM, Roger Price <rwp...@gmail.com> wrote:
How can I get alerted when something happens - eg new comments/replies in an event or new RSVPs/cancellations?

I do not want to do polling as this is inefficient but how can I get some sort of callback or alert suitable for IOS devices?

Hi Roger, we don't yet support an open API for native app push notifications. We do however support push over websockets and chunked http.

You can try subscribing to our open events (events in fully public groups) stream and filter the output based on the group or event in question

---
You received this message because you are subscribed to the Google Groups "Meetup API" group.

Roger Price

Roger Price

Jan 3, 2017, 7:55:40 AM1/3/17
to Meetup API
Doug - I got websocket sworking OK with Starscream and I can get the public content fine.  But the groups that I need to access are not public and the API does not seem to give access or allow the access token to be used.   I get the message

"errors":[{"authorization":"You are not authorized for this stream"}]

Please tell me how I can get notifications of comments and events without polling.  I am trying with:

"wss://stream.meetup.com/2/event_comments?event_id=\(eventId)&access_token=XXXX")

where XXXX is a valid access_token that works on other endpoints.

Roger

On Tuesday, 15 November 2016 08:01:50 UTC+8, Doug Tangren wrote:
On Mon, Nov 14, 2016 at 6:53 PM, Roger Price <rwp...@gmail.com> wrote:
How can I get alerted when something happens - eg new comments/replies in an event or new RSVPs/cancellations?

I do not want to do polling as this is inefficient but how can I get some sort of callback or alert suitable for IOS devices?

Hi Roger, we don't yet support an open API for native app push notifications. We do however support push over websockets and chunked http.

You can try subscribing to our open events (events in fully public groups) stream and filter the output based on the group or event in question

---
You received this message because you are subscribed to the Google Groups "Meetup API" group.

Doug Tangren

Jan 3, 2017, 10:45:11 AM1/3/17
to meetu...@googlegroups.com
On Tue, Dec 27, 2016 at 4:40 AM, Roger Price <rwp...@gmail.com> wrote:
Doug - I got websocket sworking OK with Starscream and I can get the public content fine.  But the groups that I need to access are not public and the API does not seem to give access or allow the access token to be used.   I get the message

"errors":[{"authorization":"You are not authorized for this stream"}]

Please tell me how I can get notifications of comments and events without polling.  I am trying with:

"wss://stream.meetup.com/2/event_comments?event_id=\(eventId)&access_token=XXXX")

where XXXX is a valid access_token that works on other endpoints.

Hi Roger,

Currently our stream API's only support returning public content in public groups. We don't et offer something like a webhook API for pinging you on changes.

For more options, visit this group at
http://groups.google.com/group/meetup-api?hl=en?hl=en

---
You received this message because you are subscribed to the Google Groups "Meetup API" group.

Roger Price

Jan 3, 2017, 11:07:42 AM1/3/17
to meetu...@googlegroups.com
So - can you tell me how does the meetup iOs App get notification for new comments etc?  Does it use some unpublished API or is it polling?  What is your recommendation for developers to implement this feature - ie the ability to get notification WITHOUT polling?
You received this message because you are subscribed to a topic in the Google Groups "Meetup API" group.

Doug Tangren

Jan 3, 2017, 12:15:36 PM1/3/17
to meetup-api
On Tue, Jan 3, 2017 at 10:48 AM, Roger Price <rwp...@gmail.com> wrote:
So - can you tell me how does the meetup iOs App get notification for new comments etc?  Does it use some unpublished API or is it polling?  What is your recommendation for developers to implement this feature - ie the ability to get notification WITHOUT polling?

We have a system internal to our applications to support apns/gcm pushes. You can poll and endpoint that returns similar content here https://www.meetup.com/meetup_api/docs/notifications/. On meetup.com this is the same data that gets returned when you click on the bell icon in the nav bar

Roger Price

Jan 4, 2017, 8:11:59 AM1/4/17
to meetu...@googlegroups.com
Thanks - so  there is no public API that allows a user-developed app have information pushed from non-public groups - is that correct?  You are saying that the only way to obtain this information is to poll for it?  I am aware of the notifications API but do not want to implement polling for all the reasons that everybody knows...

Is it also the case that App developers also have no access to the messaging feature - to send and receive messages (as opposed to Comments and Replies) to people?

Doug Tangren

Jan 4, 2017, 8:23:49 AM1/4/17
to meetu...@googlegroups.com
On Tue, Jan 3, 2017 at 8:20 PM, Roger Price <rwp...@gmail.com> wrote:
Thanks - so  there is no public API that allows a user-developed app have information pushed from non-public groups - is that correct?  You are saying that the only way to obtain this information is to poll for it?  I am aware of the notifications API but do not want to implement polling for all the reasons that everybody knows...

At the moment, that is correct.

Is it also the case that App developers also have no access to the messaging feature - to send and receive messages (as opposed to Comments and Replies) to people?

The messaging feature is not currently available do to personal member privacy restrictions.

The restriction on event comments and replies is controlled by an organizer preference for disallowing non-members to view  group content. Group content is public by default and that is the assumption of most members when them post comments and replies.

Member to member messaging on the other hand is private by default. Member's can not opt into having their personal conversations visible to other members. For instance, if a new member joins an existing conversation, the new member can not see the previous conversation content. We have opted not to expose the member to member messaging capability in the API to avoid breaking our member's assumptions about Meetup keeping those conversations private by disallowing third party application access. We understand that for developers this can feel restrictive, but for member's this can feel comforting and safe.  When it comes to our member's, we try to err on the side of retaining that sense of trust.

Roger Price

Jan 4, 2017, 11:36:42 PM1/4/17
to meetu...@googlegroups.com
Thanks - at least this is clear, albeit disappointing.

It really is a pity that you do not offer a non-polling interface for developers to get access.  Can you please say if there is any plan to do this OR NOT?

Re messaging - I can understand your concerns and I do not know how you have implemented it (which may constrain you), but it is also a pity and nuisance that you do not make messaging between authenticated users possible in 3rd party apps.   There are many legitimate reasons why authenticated users may wish to communicate with others and/or be reached by others.

Roger

Doug Tangren

Jan 4, 2017, 11:42:25 PM1/4/17
to meetup-api

On Jan 4, 2017 11:36 PM, "Roger Price" <rwp...@gmail.com> wrote:
Thanks - at least this is clear, albeit disappointing.

It really is a pity that you do not offer a non-polling interface for developers to get access.  Can you please say if there is any plan to do this OR NOT?

There are no plans for this in the near future.

Re messaging - I can understand your concerns and I do not know how you have implemented it (which may constrain you), but it is also a pity and nuisance that you do not make messaging between authenticated users possible in 3rd party apps.   There are many legitimate reasons why authenticated users may wish to communicate with others and/or be reached by others.

For those reasons we've build the member to member product. For the trust and privacy concerns mentioned above, we have opted to reduce the risk of breaking that trust by protecting our member's private conversations and wildholding access to it from third party channels.