V3 /:urlname/events appears partially broken and has poor documentation

Kevin Wolkober

Nov 14, 2016, 6:35:36 PM11/14/16
to Meetup API
Hi there!

I've been trying to use the V3 /:urlname/events API endpoint, but have been running into a few quirks:

1) Setting "desc" to "true" or "false" doesn't seem to do anything. I expect this should order events by time of event ascending or descending, but it's not clear to me what this parameter does.
2) "fields", "page", "scroll", and "status" are listed in the documentation as the only acceptable parameters, but the API console for this endpoint shows several more parameter possibilities. I'd love to see the documentation updated and made clearer.
3) What does "scroll" do? It's not clear to me from the documentation.

I've been trying to figure out how to show the last 5 past events from a given Meetup group, but to no avail.  Any help/consideration on the above would be super appreciated.  Thank you!

Doug Tangren

Nov 14, 2016, 6:47:31 PM11/14/16
to meetu...@googlegroups.com
Hi Kevin, I'll try to answer below

1) desc is a feature that's not always supported on API's that return listings of things. Sorry for the false advertisement and confusion on this. The good news is we're actually working on supporting this. When that's ready you'll be able to request. status=past&desc=true&page=5 to get the last 5 events for your group

2) we're trying to work on improving this as well. we currently auto-append some parameters to a the console. We understand this is confusing and we're working on improving this

3) the scroll parameter is intended as a means to jump to a point in time. It values represent aliases for these points in time. The currently supported values are recent_past and next_upcoming. We also use this parameter for paginating requests ( via the http Link header ) but those format for values should not be relied on as having a stable format. The API will generate these values for you.

I'll make notes of your comments to put in some improvements for the docs. I'll also reply here when the desc support for group events is available.

---
You received this message because you are subscribed to the Google Groups "Meetup API" group.

Doug Tangren

Nov 16, 2016, 1:26:01 PM11/16/16
to meetu...@googlegroups.com

On Mon, Nov 14, 2016 at 6:47 PM, Doug Tangren <do...@meetup.com> wrote:

This should now be fixed.

Try sending status=past&desc=true&page=5 with your group's urlname