Meetup "Single Sign On" Feature

Corey Giordana

Jun 10, 2014, 6:14:04 PM6/10/14
to meetu...@googlegroups.com
Hello again everyone,

I am just curious if Meetup offers some type of single sign on feature similar to what Facebook offers.  I have a customer that brings this up very often and feel I should investigate if there are options out there.

It would be a feature that allows users of a website to log into their account via their Meetup login credentials or through OAuth of some type I figure.

I appreciate your insight as always.

- Corey

This e-mail and any attachments is intended for the use and/or authorized (by WebCitz, LLC) distribution of the individual or entity to which this email is addressed. This email may contain information that is, or may be, covered by electronic communications privacy laws, and is also confidential and proprietary in nature. If you have not been specifically authorized by WebCitz, LLC to distribute you are legally prohibited from distributing or otherwise disclosing this information in any manner outside your entity. If you are not the intended recipient and have received this in error, please inform us promptly by reply email. Then please delete this email and destroy any printed copy. Please be advised that if you are not the intended recipient, you are legally prohibited from retaining, using, copying, distributing, or otherwise disclosing this information in any manner. Thank you in advance for your cooperation.

Dean

Jun 11, 2014, 2:46:52 AM6/11/14
to meetu...@googlegroups.com
You can sign-in using Facebook.
That's the only other option at the moment.

Joseph Lippeatt

Jun 11, 2014, 8:26:19 AM6/11/14
to meetu...@googlegroups.com
I read the question as wanting to use meetup as an authentication for another website? Depending on the website's architecture, that is possibly doable. Not sure it's practical based on the current API offerings.

Doug Tangren

Jun 11, 2014, 8:42:45 AM6/11/14
to meetup-api
On Wed, Jun 11, 2014 at 8:26 AM, Joseph Lippeatt <ext...@gmail.com> wrote:
I read the question as wanting to use meetup as an authentication for another website?  Depending on the website's architecture, that is possibly doable.  Not sure it's practical based on the current API offerings.

Facebook's Connect product is essentially a packaged client-side library for oauth.

You can totally do this with Meetup's oauth 1 ( http://www.meetup.com/meetup_api/auth/#oauth ) or oauth2 flows ( http://www.meetup.com/meetup_api/auth/#oauth2 ). We do not how ever provide any prepackaged client-side code for this. There are a number of libraries in any given programming language for handling the oauth authentication dance which make this easier than starting from scratch.

> On Jun 11, 2014, at 1:46 AM, Dean <loga...@gmail.com> wrote:
>
> You can sign-in using Facebook.
> That's the only other option at the moment.

---
You received this message because you are subscribed to the Google Groups "Meetup API" group.