Any changes on Meetup's end?

Joe Lippeatt

Jun 12, 2014, 7:37:36 PM6/12/14
to meetu...@googlegroups.com
hi folks.  I've been using the following PHP snip to retrieve meetup data/json, and today I noticed it has stopped working.  The last time I tried accessing data from the API was about 2 or 3 days ago I think.  This now happens on all of my custom tool pages.

$page = @fopen($eventsUrl, 'r');

while (!feof($page)) { ... }

An example of the error I'm getting is

Warning: fopen(https://api.meetup.com/2/events?key=1234567890&sign=true&group_id=1483309&page=30&status=upcoming,past,proposed,suggested&order=time&desc=true) [function.fopen]: failed to open stream: HTTP request failed! HTTP/1.1 403 Forbidden in /bla/bla.php on line 452

Warning: feof() expects parameter 1 to be resource, boolean given in /bla/bla.php on line 454

Any suggestions?

Thanks for the help.

Joe

Doug Tangren

Jun 12, 2014, 8:28:24 PM6/12/14
to meetup-api
Hi Joe,

I don't seem to have an issue getting event information back for this group from the api console. Can you try and see if there isn't any information you are expecting but isn't being pulled back by trying the console on the site?

Joe

---
You received this message because you are subscribed to the Google Groups "Meetup API" group.

Joseph Lippeatt

Jun 12, 2014, 8:41:55 PM6/12/14
to meetu...@googlegroups.com

On Thu, Jun 12, 2014 at 7:37 PM, Joe Lippeatt <ext...@gmail.com> wrote:
[...]

Seems to woke fine on the consol.  So wondering if it's a security issue?  $page is coming back as FALSE rather than json data.

Are you guys moving things around or upgrading servers, etc?

Doug Tangren

Jun 12, 2014, 11:26:03 PM6/12/14
to meetup-api
Hi Joe,

We actually make a lot of small changes to making things more efficient and deploy those regularly but we try our best to make sure those changes don't have a negative impact on all of you. I will have a closer look tomorrow to see if I can't find anything. Let me know if there are other symptoms. Most error responses also return a response body with some more information about the error. Can you let me know if you can extract any useful information from those error response bodies?

Joe Lippeatt

Jun 15, 2014, 12:10:47 PM6/15/14
to meetu...@googlegroups.com
Hi Doug,

Can you guys see if maybe my server's ip or key was blacklisted?  Attempts to access data via meetup api is now being returned as "forbidden".  This has affected all of my group's microsites and all tools we use that access the API.

Warning
: fopen(https://api.meetup.com/2/events?key=bla-bla-bla&sign=true&group_id=1483309&page=30&status=upcoming,past,proposed,suggested&order=time&desc=true) [function.fopen]: failed to open stream: HTTP request failed! HTTP/1.1 403 Forbidden in /bla/bla/bla.php on line 454

Warning: feof() expects parameter 1 to be resource, boolean given in /home/content/e/x/t/ext237/html/_houstonphotowalks/functions_master.php on line 456

Warning: fgets() expects parameter 1 to be resource, boolean given in /home/content/e/x/t/ext237/html/_houstonphotowalks/functions_master.php on line 457

This is the code that results in the error:

$page = @fopen($eventsUrl, 'r');
while (!feof($page)) { ... }

Thanks

Joe

Doug Tangren

Jun 15, 2014, 3:07:48 PM6/15/14
to meetup-api
On Sun, Jun 15, 2014 at 12:10 PM, Joe Lippeatt <ext...@gmail.com> wrote:
[...]

Thank's Joe. I'll have a closer look.
Message has been deleted

Doug Tangren

Jun 16, 2014, 11:54:48 AM6/16/14
to meetup-api

Doug Tangren
Meetup Platform Engineer

On Sun, Jun 15, 2014 at 3:07 PM, Doug Tangren <do...@meetup.com> wrote:

[...]

I'm looking though the recent history in our logs and it looks like there haven't been any requests from the ip your more historic requests came from. We checked also checked our apache access logs. Can you see if you can run similar requests run through the api console on the site or from the cURL command line client directly.

I talked with our systems team and it doesn't look like your IP address is being blocked on our end. They suggested running a traceroute to see where the connection may be getting dropped at. I'll try to let you know if more information surfaces.