"public" API / using personal API key

Jingran Wang

Nov 23, 2016, 11:55:18 AM11/23/16
to Meetup API
I have a community Android app that I'm building, and have been tasked with showing the upcoming events of a few meetups in the app.

Ideally, this call could be "public" without a need for an API key, since I can perform this "query" by simply going to the meetup's direct link without having to sign in.

Since I can't make the /:urlname/events call without an API key, I can use my own, but since this app will be used by hundreds of people in the local community, I'm not sure having it tied to my personal API key is the best way to go.

It also doesn't make any sense for a user to authenticate with the app, just to be able to make requests to display upcoming events. That defeats the purpose of having this app in the first place, since one of the desires was to drive discovery of meetup events in the area.

How should I go about this?

Thank you.

Doug Tangren

Dec 8, 2016, 12:33:26 PM12/8/16
to Meetup API
I think the simplest solution would be to proxy the the request behind your own server in order not include your api key in your api. This would also give you a nice opportunity to add caching to avoid hitting rate limits.

Thank you.