Undocumented event comment error

Andrew M

Mar 21, 2017, 4:49:42 PM3/21/17
to Meetup API
I've been working on an app that includes functionality that will automatically post comments and photos to a meetup event for a user.

When it's sent to the test group (that the user is a member of), the posts and photos appear. However, when posting a comment to an event (POST /:urlname/events/:event_id/comments) in other groups, it's been returning a 400 with the code 'member_error' and description 'Invalid member'.

The error code doesn't seem to be defined in that context in the docs, though I don't think that it would be a stretch to think that it is an indication that the user must be a member of the group to perform these actions. Is this the case? If so, what other endpoints can this error code be returned by?

Also, if it's the case that a user must join a group to comment on an event, is there a limit to the number of groups a user can join, as there is with the number of comments a user can make?

Doug Tangren

Mar 21, 2017, 4:54:09 PM3/21/17
to meetu...@googlegroups.com
On Tue, Mar 21, 2017 at 4:42 PM, Andrew M <and...@kandid.ly> wrote:
I've been working on an app that includes functionality that will automatically post comments and photos to a meetup event for a user.

When it's sent to the test group (that the user is a member of), the posts and photos appear. However, when posting a comment to an event (POST /:urlname/events/:event_id/comments) in other groups, it's been returning a 400 with the code 'member_error' and description 'Invalid member'.

The error code doesn't seem to be defined in that context in the docs, though I don't think that it would be a stretch to think that it is an indication that the user must be a member of the group to perform these actions. Is this the case? If so, what other endpoints can this error code be returned by?

The rules of the API generally a super set of the rules of the platform. If you are are not a member of the group you can't do things like post content or RSVP to events in groups you aren't a member.

Also, if it's the case that a user must join a group to comment on an event, is there a limit to the number of groups a user can join, as there is with the number of comments a user can make?

There's no hard cap on the number of group joins or comments a member can make but there are some restrictions about the frequency both can be preformed. These restrictions are pretty generous, but are in place to prevent potential spammers from abusing the platform.

---
You received this message because you are subscribed to the Google Groups "Meetup API" group.