Performance impact of using an agent

Dain Ironfoot

May 9, 2018, 3:37:20 PM5/9/18
to mechanical-sympathy

Hello,

I am evaluating a product which works by instrumenting bytecode.
I launch my application via the provided agent which instruments bytecode, profiles and generates reports about my application.

What would be the best way to determine the performance penalty imposed by running the agent?
Would it be enough if I were to capture latency of a few of operation in my app via JMH with and without the agent?
Also, is there a baseline expected drop in performance by using an agent which does bytecode instrumentation? For example, I sort of recall that JMX imposes a penalty of about ~2%.

Any ideas are most welcome.

Thanks,
Mr Anderson

Henri Tremblay

May 9, 2018, 4:54:24 PM5/9/18
to mechanica...@googlegroups.com
Hi,

I would do something higher than JMH if possible.

Basically just launch the benchmark you already have to test your application (don't you? ;-)

Then, add instrumentation and indeed, look at the response time. Especially in a multithreaded environment because, frequently, instrumentation implementations cause bottlenecks.

JMX is not instrumentation. So I don't know where the 2% comes from.