Is there anything useful from the (linux) kernel that you wish was readily available from java ?

ymo

Feb 17, 2015, 11:53:10 AM2/17/15
to mechanica...@googlegroups.com
I am sure there is tons of stuff that people have to find workarounds.

Jan van Oort

Feb 17, 2015, 11:55:28 AM2/17/15
to mechanical-sympathy
It's not in the linux kernel, although I hope it will be, one day, and I would definitely want to have it from Java: a distributed Phaser, i.e. a fully distributed, p2p-based version of the Phaser introduced in Java 7.

Fortuna audaces adiuvat - hos solos ?

On 17 February 2015 at 17:53, ymo <ymol...@gmail.com> wrote:
I am sure there is tons of stuff that people have to find workarounds.

Martin Thompson

Feb 17, 2015, 12:03:36 PM2/17/15
to mechanica...@googlegroups.com
Named semaphores that can be used across processes would be very useful.

As far as APIs go it would be great having access to sendmmsg() and recvmmsg() to greatly reduce the number of system calls when doing network IO.

On 17 February 2015 at 16:53, ymo <ymol...@gmail.com> wrote:
I am sure there is tons of stuff that people have to find workarounds.

Josh Humphries

Feb 17, 2015, 12:07:15 PM2/17/15
to mechanica...@googlegroups.com
Domain sockets and the ability to marshal file descriptors (including server socket descriptors) from one process to another via said sockets.

----
Josh Humphries
Manager, Shared Systems  |  Platform Engineering
Atlanta, GA  |  678-400-4867

On Tue, Feb 17, 2015 at 11:53 AM, ymo <ymol...@gmail.com> wrote:
I am sure there is tons of stuff that people have to find workarounds.

ymo

Feb 17, 2015, 12:12:14 PM2/17/15
to mechanica...@googlegroups.com
For me i wish this was available from one api !

Wojciech Kudla

Feb 17, 2015, 1:03:27 PM2/17/15
to mechanica...@googlegroups.com

For me, among other things it's clock_gettime(clock_realtime), map for > 2GB (+explicit unmap), getrusage.

Todd Lipcon

Feb 17, 2015, 2:54:06 PM2/17/15
On Tue, Feb 17, 2015 at 9:06 AM, Josh Humphries <j...@squareup.com> wrote:
Domain sockets and the ability to marshal file descriptors (including server socket descriptors) from one process to another via said sockets.

If anyone's looking for an implementation of this, check out the Hadoop Common source. We use this technique from Java (via JNI) to "short circuit" our data path when clients are local to the HDFS DataNode.

-Todd