Orphaning small library built on top of sun.misc.Unsafe

Alex Kashchenko

Jan 17, 2016, 9:43:01 AM1/17/16
to mechanica...@googlegroups.com
Hi,

Library link: https://github.com/alexkasko/unsafe-tools

I wrote this library some years ago for in-house data processing/storage
engine. It implements "safe" (guarded with asserts) wrapper for
sun.misc.Unsafe, basic data structures on top of it and binary search
and dual-pivot quicksort algorithms for that structures. It has unit
tests and javadocs for all the classes.

Unfortunately I am not working with sun.misc.Unsafe anymore and have no
free cycles for maintaining it. I want to orphan this library, if
someone will be interested in adopting it - please fork it on GitHub,
publish to Maven central and create an issue about this fork. I'll put
the appropriate message and link to new home into the readme.

PS: I understand that maintaining a library is not fun, but from
issues/pull requests I know there are some users of that lib; and anyone
who works with sun.misc.Unsafe is likely reading this list.

--
-Alex

Jacques Nadeau

Jan 17, 2016, 6:06:44 PM1/17/16
to mechanica...@googlegroups.com

Hey Alex,

It looks like a number of useful tools. I'm working an a new Apache foundation project that this would be very relevant for. If you would be willing to donate this code to the foundation, I (we) could help take over stewardship. Of course, if someone wants to manage independently, that would be great as well.

Alex Kashchenko

Jan 18, 2016, 5:15:38 AM1/18/16
to Jacques Nadeau, mechanica...@googlegroups.com
Hi Jacques,

On 01/17/2016 11:06 PM, Jacques Nadeau wrote:
> Hey Alex,
>
> It looks like a number of useful tools. I'm working an a new Apache
> foundation project that this would be very relevant for. If you would be
> willing to donate this code to the foundation, I (we) could help take over
> stewardship. Of course, if someone wants to manage independently, that
> would be great as well.

I will gladly donate this code to ASF, please let me know if any
contribution agreement will be required from me.

Thanks.
--
-Alex

James Northrup

Jan 27, 2016, 10:15:05 AM1/27/16
to mechanical-sympathy
adding into https://github.com/0xCopy/bbcursive if applicable.

Lorenzo Gallucci

Apr 11, 2016, 3:24:56 AM4/11/16
to mechanical-sympathy, jac...@apache.org
Any update on this? Has unsafe-tools a new home already?

Thank you

--
-Alex

Jacques Nadeau

Apr 20, 2016, 7:52:35 PM4/20/16
to Alex Kashchenko, Jacques Nadeau, mechanica...@googlegroups.com
Sorry I disappeared.

Alex, it would be great if you could provide a software grant for your code [1].

Then we could add it to the recently formed Apache Arrow project [2][3]. I think we could find substantial value there and continue to maintain and improve it in that context.

Thanks,
Jacques

Jacques Nadeau

Apr 21, 2016, 11:46:36 AM4/21/16
to Jacques Nadeau, Alex Kashchenko, mechanica...@googlegroups.com
Hey All,

Alex was kind enough to sign off on the software grant so we'll be incorporating the tools into Arrow. We're tracking here: [1]

thanks,
Jacques