Intel contributing various vectorization changes to Hotspot

Vitaly Davidovich

Apr 13, 2015, 6:16:29 PM4/13/15
to mechanica...@googlegroups.com
Not sure if anyone here knows the background, but I've recently noticed Intel contributing JIT changes to Hotspot in the area of vectorization.  For example:

Pretty exciting stuff.  Anyone know the sudden spur here? My guess is this is related to the java open source projects they're contributing (and presumably using internally) to, such as Hadoop and Tachyon, but if anyone knows more I'd be curious to know.

ymo

Apr 13, 2015, 8:25:45 PM4/13/15
to mechanica...@googlegroups.com
In case i missed the test cases ... are there any ?

Vitaly Davidovich

Apr 13, 2015, 8:35:40 PM4/13/15
to mechanica...@googlegroups.com

You mean hotspot tests that exercise the code? Only ones I saw were for the first change I listed: http://mail.openjdk.java.net/pipermail/hotspot-compiler-dev/2015-March/017477.html.  If you look at the webrev link there you'll see a few java test files for it.

The avx 512 one is a bit tough as hardware support isn't there yet.

The last one (streams) probably should have them (and it seems like Intel tested something internally at least) but I've yet to see any there (the CR was posted only today so it may get them as the review progresses).

sent from my phone