What do you think about ZeroMQ?

Vero K.

Mar 26, 2016, 1:27:16 PM3/26/16
to mechanical-sympathy
How reliable zeromq is? we want to use it for communication between applications on the same and different boxes. it has java implementation too. how fast is it? do you recommend zeromq at all?

Alex P

Mar 26, 2016, 2:39:28 PM3/26/16
to mechanical-sympathy
jeromq is quite reliable. You can read up more about it's performance here[1]

We've had good experiences with zeromq. I have a bit of a problem with socket types (pub/sub, req/rep, dealer/router etc)[2], as it may impose certain limitations on your design (not all sockets have same directionality and delivery semantics). If it does fit, however, it works as it advertises.

Vero K.

Mar 27, 2016, 4:36:19 PM3/27/16
to mechanical-sympathy
thanks, interesting read. it looks like Java implementation of ZeroMQ in some cases is much faster than C++ implementation. why this is the case? I think we are pretty much good with Java implementation performance, though it seems that C++ is more stable?

Alex P

Mar 28, 2016, 3:05:15 PM3/28/16
to mechanical-sympathy
It's hard to say why exactly the particular benchmark is better in java. We've always used the java version, so the most important thing for us was it meets our demands, so we never compared with c++.

It might be not what you look for, but if you only want RPC, you might check out grpc[1]. ZeroMQ is not exactly a message queue, so grpc might be among the lines of what you want.