Master thesis in mechanical sympathy, Java performance.

John Hening

Nov 16, 2017, 11:42:16 AM11/16/17
to mechanical-sympathy
Hi,

I know that there is a lot of experts in Java oriented on "mechanical sympathy" here. I am very interested in that subject- however I am a beginner. However, I am not clueless about it.
I'm a bit familiar with the processor architecture, lock-free, garbage free and so on. My question is:
Has someone any idea for master thesis in that area? I'm graduating my university and I would like write a thesis in interesting for me subject.

If someone has an idea, feel free to suggest somehting, like general idea. If someone consider that post as inadequete, feel free to give me a  sign as well.

ben.c...@alumni.rutgers.edu

Nov 16, 2017, 12:14:28 PM11/16/17
to mechanica...@googlegroups.com

If appropriate (for both this group's and your Thesis' ambitions), consider a Thesis title that is respectfully dramatic (but that, foremost, honors your PhD advisors' expectations) and that, furthermore, abstracts the concepts presented in this (very excellent) forum to generic problem solving.  Agree?

here's how I might title such Thesis:  "Musings on the Data Locality, Latency, and Caching Problem: A Mechanical Sympathy"

From there?  ::  identify, category, of both Operator and Operand and the *cost* of getting these things as close as possible to one another. ?

good luck!

On 11/16/2017 11:42 AM, John Hening wrote

Nikolay Tsankov

Nov 16, 2017, 2:24:43 PM11/16/17
to mechanica...@googlegroups.com
Recently watched an '85 lecture by Richard Feynman, where he explains the computer as a filing system, where you have a clerk that picks a card, reads it, does some calculations, maybe writes something on the card and puts it back. So it is this back and forth motion, back and forth, something like a wave, with the wavelength being the distance you have to travel to the cabinet with the next card. Obviously then, if you decrease the length, the frequency increases, so you process more cards in the same time. If you have someone load a card box from the basement and deliver it to the clerk's room, this would speed things up, as the clerk then has to travel less - prefetchers. Very good analogy in my opinion, naturally explains a lot of the hardware parts in a computer and their effect on the speed of processing. So if I were writing a thesis, I would try to make an analogy to some well understood physical or everyday processes and the data processing done by a computer.

Remko Popma

Nov 29, 2017, 6:44:39 PM11/29/17
to mechanical-sympathy
John, you may be interested in this https://groups.google.com/forum/?nomobile=true#!searchin/mechanical-sympathy/Coursera$20/mechanical-sympathy/tWQVzST9nMk/ldcSvUONL9YJ

There are universities offering courses in this field.
Recommended book: “Computer Systems, A Programmer's Perspective"