The MDC Today

1 view

MDC Information Department

Jul 5, 2010, 11:35:21 AM7/5/10
to mdcchangingtimes
The MDC Today
Monday 5 July 2010

In Mashonaland East province, an MDC member in Sadza, Chikomba East district, Kemson Chikasha (67) lost his front two teeth after he was assaulted by his brother, who is a Zanu PF apologist and village head.

The assault took place during a constitution consultation meeting in Sadza on June 28 when Kemson contributed during the meeting. His brother, the village head, warned him not to speak as spokespersons had already been selected prior to the meeting to speak on behalf of the whole ward. In Matabeleland North province, Zanu PF officials in Umguza area are harassing and intimidating MDC members. Sawmills Headman Jealous Tshakalisa has intimidated and threatened Simon Moyo, the MDC Umguza district youth vice chairperson has been mobilising people to participate in the constitution process.

In Masvingo province, police at Muchakata post have refused to arrest Zanu PF thugs who torched houses belonging to MDC supporters in June 2008, claiming the cases are outdated. Ackson Mawire, whose relative Debora Chiriga`s two huts were torched by Zanu PF thugs in June 2008, in the Renco area of Masvingo South, said he went to Muchakata police post to make a follow up on the issue and the police details manning the post openly told him the case was no longer relevant and that the dockets were missing.

In the same province, Chief Fortune Charumbira last month allegedly instructed members of the neighbourhood watch committee to destroy houses belonging to four MDC supporters in the Mushandike area of Masvingo west constituency. According to reports from the area, villagers in Mushandike ( village 16 B resettlement), got the shock of their lives when members of the neighbourhood watch committee, also known as police constabularies, stormed the place on June 5 and allegedly destroyed four houses
belonging to MDC supporters. The MDC members who fell victim to the barbaric act are Philda Tota, Grace Gwauya, Shamiso Nhongo and Stephen Sibanda.

The MDC Women’s Assembly secretary, Hon Evelyn Masaiti has urged women to turn out in large numbers in the constitution-making process to fulfill the goal of 50-50 gender representation in key developmental posts.  'The issue of patriarchy is of high concern where men are placed with great honour and women are inferior in decision making and taking up leadership positions,” said Hon Masaiti.

Addressing women in Gokwe Kana and Gokwe Nembudziya in the Midlands north province over the weekend, Hon Masaiti condemned incidences of intimidation continuing in Gokwe where MDC members are being threatened with eviction by chiefs and headmen if they stand up and express their opinions when the Copac team reaches their wards.

"Zanu PF feels the only way they can keep their position is by threatening people. But you must not cow to their threats, it’s about time the voice of the masses is raised to extricate this country of Mugabe’s despotism. It’s a struggle we have to finish, let us voice up and be heard." The mini-rallies were attended by Provincial women assembly led by chairlady Ngoma Bessie and other members.

--
MDC Information & Publicity Department
Harvest House

MDC Information Department

Jul 6, 2010, 6:01:30 AM7/6/10
to mdcchangingtimes

The MDC Today

Tuesday 6 July 2010

In Manicaland province, the MDC secretary for Ward 20 in Mutare South had to be hospitalised after sustaining serious internal injuries when he was assaulted by the village head, Daniel Toopera, with the aid of two Zanu PF brothers, Batsirai and Daniel Makomboti.

Blessing Musarandega was assaulted after giving his opinion during a Constitution-making outreach public meeting held on 29 June at Munyarari primary school.

This is believed to have infuriated the village head and his Zanu PF colleagues who had drafted a list of people who were meant to speak at the outreach meeting.

Recovering at a hospital in Mutare, Musarandega said the assault would not deter him from his basic right to participate in the drafting of a new Constitution.

“They want to silence us but they will not succeed. This is a national constitution and not a Zanu PF baby. We are all Zimbabweans; we want our voices to be heard.  I will participate again when the outreach team comes back to the area,” said Musarandega.

The assailants have been reported to the police but no arrests have been made.

In Mashonaland Central province, three MDC activists, Last Sihara, Stephen Jambo and Malvern Gumbo, will today appear before a Bindura magistrate on trumped up charges of threatening to murder a Zanu PF thug, Chenai Makaraho, at a rally two weeks ago.

MDC Information Department

Jul 7, 2010, 10:14:38 AM7/7/10
to mdcchangingtimes
The MDC Today
Wednesday, 7 July 2010

The Mayor of Harare, Muchadeyi Masunda today inspected the city council’s pilot project of solar street lighting in Kuwadzana and Glenview 3 shopping centers. The two street lights, are capable of lighting the entire shopping center using solar energy.

It is an exciting project and we are assessing whether this is a tenable project.  We have one street light at the shopping area and if we have six more we can light the entire community,” said Mayor Masunda. “But for now we are checking if the lights work.”  The solar powered street light cost an estimated US$2 000, and can last for up to 20 years with only the panel and the batteries needing replacement. Mayor Masunda said these lights were a third the size of the electricity operated tower lights. He said that the council was working on energy conservation as the nation grapples with electricity shortages.

Elsewhere, there is an increased upsurge of intimidation of villagers in the rural areas by State security agents as the Constitution-making process spreads out across the country. Reports from the provinces show a worrying trend of an increase in intimidation, harassment and arrests of people.

The MDC Mashonaland Central Youth Assembly deputy provincial chairperson, Brian Pfungweni was arrested in Mt Darwin as he was mobilising MDC supporters to attend  the Constitution-making public meetings. Before his arrest he was attacked by Zanu PF supporters in the area. However, instead of arresting the Zanu PF youths, the police arrested Pfungweni. He has since been transferred to Bindura central police station and is expected to appear in court this week.

In Shamva, also in Mashonaland Central province, Central Intelligence Office agents on Tuesday addressed villagers before the start of the outreach meetings preaching the discredited Kariba draft.  They threatened them with disappearance if they did not comply with this directive. The CIO agents were driving unmarked vehicles when they addressed villagers in Shamva at Bradley, Kamudyariwa, Hore, Chidembo and Kasimbi meeting points.

The Zanu PF Shamva South MP, Samuel Ziteya, illegally withdrew written submissions that had been handed to the Constitutional Parliamentary Committee (Copac) team at Bradley. In Fairfields, Chirumanzu, Midlands province, a deputy headmaster at Fairfields primary school called for a parents’ meeting and started addressing them about the Kariba draft ahead of Copac public meetings. Meanwhile, there are reports in some provinces that people who want to participate in the meetings are failing to do so as the Copac timetable is incorrect.

In Masvingo province, the MDC Chivi South district chairperson, Shelter Chifamba was threatened with death by a self-styled war veteran and Zanu PF Chivi South Ward 24 chairman, Machanja Risco at a funeral in Chivi.  Chifamba, who was assaulted and had her house destroyed in 2008, has been warned against mobilising people for the Constitution consultations currently underway.

In Mashonaland Central province, the MDC information secretary for Muzarabani North district, Wilbert Zenya has been threatened with unspecified action after the soccer World Cup. Zenya of Ward 27 Maseredza village has been especially targeted because he has a satellite dish at his house where people are watching the World cup. “They told me I bought the satellite dish so that I watch news that supports the MDC,” Zenya said.

In Manicaland province, four Mutare law and order policemen went to the MDC MP for Makoni South Hon Pishayi Muchauraya’s house, and instructed that the MP report to the Mutare Central police station without fail.

MDC Information Department

Jul 8, 2010, 6:26:36 AM7/8/10
to mdcchangingtimes
The MDC Today
Thursday 8 July 2010

An MDC activist, Chef Mohammed was arrested on Wednesday in Mt Darwin, Mashonaland Central province for mobilising MDC supporters to attend the Constitution-making outreach meetings in the area. The arrest follows that of Brian Pfungweni, the MDC Mashonaland Central provincial Youth Assembly chairperson who was arrested on Monday on the same charges. The two are now facing charges of undermining the President and are expected to appear in court today. Cases of people being intimidated ahead of the Constitution-making public meetings are on the rise in most parts of the country.

At Juru business centre in Goromonzi North, hundreds of Zanu PF youths on Wednesday sealed off a Copac venue in the area and screened people who were coming to the meeting. As a result scores of people were turned away. The Zanu PF youths were bussed to the venue by the MP for the area, Paddy Zhanda. In Mutasa South, Manicaland province, two well-known MDC activists, Tichaona Mlambo and Willard Mupengo of Ward 22 were denied entry into a Copac outreach meeting by war veterans who were in charge of accreditation.

In Mudzi South, Mashonaland East province, Alfred Mahaso, the MDC Mudzi South Youth Assembly district chairperson was on Sunday threatened by Zanu PF youths led by David Kapanga for mobilising people in the area to attend the Constitution-making public meetings. They also accused him of de-campaigning, the unpopular Kariba draft. Mahaso made a report to Makosa police station but the police details said there was not much they could do in such cases.

Meanwhile, Isaac Masuka the MDC Ward 1 councillor in Chipinge West, Manicaland province has died.  He died last week from injuries he sustained after he was assaulted by Zanu PF youths in June 2008 and was buried in the area on Wednesday. He leaves behind two wives, 12 children and 11 grandchildren.

In Bulawayo, victims of political violence have formed a non-governmental organisation, the Zimbabwe Victims of Organised Violence Trust (ZVOVT) in order to sensitise people against organised violence in the country. The trust is chaired by Patricia Nabanyama, whose husband, Patrick Nabanyama, an MDC activist was abducted by known Zanu PF supporters in 2000.  His whereabouts remain unknown.

During the launch of the trust, Nabanyama said the wounds inflicted and the trauma experienced by being deprived the freedom of assembly and association can only heal when the victims organise themselves and put a stop to continuous intimidation and harassment of the people.  The trust is expected to help the victims and the nation at large to speak out against continuous organised violence, bloodshed and displacements.

ZVOVT is also advocating for a Truth and Justice Commission in the Constitution-making exercise. “ZVOVT advocates for a Constitution that protects, celebrates and enshrines sanctity of life, security of persons, freedoms of expression, tolerance, free political activity and protection from the state,” Nabanyana said.

Over 20 000 people were murdered in the 1980s by the then Zanu PF government in Matebeland and parts of Midlands provinces while over 500 MDC supporters were murdered by Zanu PF militia and State security agents in 2008.

MDC Information Department

Jul 9, 2010, 9:16:32 AM7/9/10
to mdcchangingtimes
The MDC Today
Friday 9 July 2010

The Minister of Health and Child Welfare, Hon. Henry Madzorera, yesterday toured Ruwa town council as part of his government work programme to acquaint himself with the health situations in the local authorities. The Ruwa town council Chairman, Mr Phineas Mushayavanhu said, the visit was a rare opportunity for the town council to conscientise the Minister of the health challenges bedeviling the town.

“We have one beautifully built poly clinic, but our major challenge is that it is not equipped,” Chairman Mushayavanhu said. The clinic, which was built from the residents’ contribution, is operating at 30% capacity and the maternity ward is dysfunctional as it does not have relevant equipment and bedding. The town refers its pregnant women to Chitungwiza and Marondera hospitals.

Our mortality rate is very low because some women and babies die on the way to these referral clinics because they are far from Ruwa. We raised our concerns with the Minister that we could at least refer to any other clinic in the capital city,” Mushayavanhu said. Minister Madzorera was further taken to the water point for Ruwa to see the borehole which sustained the town of Ruwa during the cholera outbreak.

We are planning on having a project to draw water from this borehole, straight to the clinic, but we need funding,” he added. The Chairman said the Minister had been impressed and promised to take the concerns of the town council to possible investors and donors so that the clinic is equipped and fully functional.

We want the people to experience, see and feel real change. So far they are experiencing it, but it is still limited. We want real change to come knocking on every individual’s door, not only in Ruwa, but in the country,” said Clr Mushayavanhu.

In Mashonaland Central province, an MDC youth activist, Zvikomborero Mbiri of Mvurwi was yesterday abducted by a group of Zanu PF youth who dragged him to their base at Sirsk farm and detained him. He only managed to escape at around four in the morning before any harm could be done to him. He only lost copies of The changing Times he had taken from the provincial office for distribution in his area. Meanwhile, the two MDC youth leaders, Brian Pfungweni and Chef Mohammed, who appeared before a Bindura magistrate yesterday were granted free bail. They are expected to appear in court on 7 August. The two are facing trumped up charges of undermining the President.

In Matabeleland North, war veterans in the farms in Ward I at Woodlands far, Madhumabisa farm and Matetsi farms, have threatened other villagers with eviction if they contradicted what they were saying at the consultation meetings in the area. In the same area, attempts by Zanu PF to influence the Copac teams to adopt a different schedule than that advertised has been scuttled after the MDC opposed this move.

Copac was not following the advertised programme and had started going into areas haphazardly before the MDC intervened and beseeched the team to follow laid down procedures, dates, venues and times.