[Somewhat off topic] please recommend a hat with neck protection

Howard Wu

Apr 25, 2018, 8:51:21 AM4/25/18
to Maryland & DC Birding
Hi,

Sorry if this is off topic (I do see posts requesting for gear recommendations, so I thought this would somewhat fall into the "gear" category) --

I sometimes see birders wear hats/caps with a neck flap. I think this is great in the summer as it gives more protection from the sun. But I went to a few stores, they did not have them. For myself, I will go to the tropics this year, and I don't want to be baked by the equatorial sun!

What would you recommend -- which brands, where to get them, etc.?

Thanks in advance,
Howard Wu
Herndon, VA

Gail Mackiernan

Apr 25, 2018, 9:03:52 AM4/25/18
to Howard Wu, Maryland & DC Birding
Try Orvis or another fly fishing company - these hats are used a lot by fishermen (and women!). Cabelas or Bass Pro May also carry them.

All those UV microfiber shirts you seen birders wearing, with the little loop on the back and the little Velcroed flap above the left hand patch pocket were designed for fly fishing. The loop holds your net and the Velcro flap holds your long rod steady while you change your fly! Lotsa good birding gear available in fishing shops

Gail Mackiernan
Colesville, MD

Sent from my iPad

SUE RICCIARDI

Apr 25, 2018, 9:27:04 AM4/25/18
to Maryland & DC Birding, Howard Wu

Howard,

Sunday Afternoons is a company that produces hats with flaps.

Sue Ricciardi

Arnold, MD

christine Ley

Apr 25, 2018, 11:22:29 AM4/25/18
to SUE RICCIARDI, Maryland & DC Birding, Howard Wu
REI on Rockville Pike has them.  Or on line.  Chris

JAMES SPEICHER

Apr 25, 2018, 10:12:15 PM4/25/18
to christine Ley, SUE RICCIARDI, Maryland & DC Birding, Howard Wu
On 4/25/18, christine Ley <chris...@gmail.com> wrote:
> REI on Rockville Pike has them.

Alternatively, make your own by adding a bit of material to your FAV
birding hat with a bit of thread and a needle and a few minutes of
down time on a rainy day. It may not make the Fashion pages of the
WAPOST, but do birders really have a fashion sense :)

Jim Speicher
BroadRun/Burkittsville area
[FR] Frederick County MD
M.O.S. member, Washington [WA] Co Chapter

Marcia Watson

Apr 25, 2018, 10:21:44 PM4/25/18
to JAMES SPEICHER, christine Ley, SUE RICCIARDI, Maryland & DC Birding, Howard Wu
Another alternative is to wear a normal sun hat with brim instead of one with a flap hanging down over your neck, and drape a small towel over your neck and shoulders.  When it’s very hot, the towel can be soaked in water for instant and continuous cooling as well as sun protection.  I have used this method in very hot desert conditions as well as around here.  It works very well for me.

Marcia
Marcia Watson
Patuxent Bird Club
A Chapter of the Maryland Ornithological Society

Bowie, Maryland