[FR] Yard hummer doldrums and Summer doldrums for Bike Ride Birds

JAMES SPEICHER

Jun 18, 2017, 5:44:58 PM6/18/17
to mdbi...@googlegroups.com
Only one instance of two hummers near the feeder all season and while
one was a male the other was seen too briefly to ID as to sex. STILL
no observed visits to the feeder by a female this season...

Singers most often noted on bike rides are Tufted Tits, Cardinals,
Meadowlarks, Wood Thrushes, etc. with an occasional set-to by one of
Catoctin Creek's Kingfishers objecting to intrusions of their domain
by all comers. A persistent, calling Bald Eagle could not be located.

Jim Speicher
BroadRun/Burkittsville area
[FR] Frederick County
WA Co. MOS member

Steve Long

Jun 18, 2017, 7:16:57 PM6/18/17
to JAMES SPEICHER, mdbi...@googlegroups.com
We have also seem only mature male hummers so far this season. At least in
Maryland. On a visit to Allentown, we did see what appeared to be a female
at a friend's feeder.

Steve Long
Oxford
> --
> Group 'Maryland & DC Birding'.
> the web at http://www.mdbirding.com
> http://www.mdbirding.com/hotspot.html

Marian Argentino

Jun 19, 2017, 8:37:53 AM6/19/17
to Steve Long, JAMES SPEICHER, mdbi...@googlegroups.com
I was excited last week because I saw a couple males for a few days in a row. Then it stopped again. My usual wood thrushes arrived strangely. They came in stages where for at least the 14 years I've lived here they seemed to arrive all at once. And there still are not the numbers as in the past. But they seem much more vocal this year.

Marian Argentino.
Havre de Grace Sent from my iPhone

JAMES SPEICHER

Jun 19, 2017, 4:24:28 PM6/19/17
to Steve Long, mdbi...@googlegroups.com
On 6/18/17, Steve Long <steve...@verizon.net> wrote:
> We have also seem only mature male hummers so far this season.

My "complaint" registered somewhere and the result was a female at the
feeder a few moments ago...

1.5" of needed rain with no wind/hail issues here.