Clapper rail, DC

Mike Mangiaracina

Sep 25, 2016, 4:16:50 PM9/25/16
to Maryland & DC Birding
There's a clapper rail in the parking lot behind Elliott Hine middle school. It's hiding behind trash and darting around. We're not far from kingman island here, so I'm hopeful it will find its way.

Mike Mangiaracina
Washington DC

Mike Mangiaracina

Sep 25, 2016, 5:05:22 PM9/25/16
to Maryland & DC Birding
Hugh Mcguinness is here with me now and is thinking this may be a Virginia rail, not a clapper. I certainly defer to him on this! However, we're not getting great looks and my pictures aren't great so we're not 100% sure on this.

Hugh McGuinness

Sep 25, 2016, 5:08:59 PM9/25/16
to Mike Mangiaracina, Maryland & DC Birding
I feel pretty confident that this is Virginia Rail.

Hugh

Sent from my iPhone

> On Sep 25, 2016, at 5:05 PM, Mike Mangiaracina <mike.man...@gmail.com> wrote:
>
> Hugh Mcguinness is here with me now and is thinking this may be a Virginia rail, not a clapper. I certainly defer to him on this! However, we're not getting great looks and my pictures aren't great so we're not 100% sure on this.

Mike Mangiaracina

Sep 25, 2016, 5:19:50 PM9/25/16
to Maryland & DC Birding
My apologies for the false alarm on it being a clapper. Virginia rail is still cool. Thanks to the folks who came and helped me with the ID.