Hummingbirds @ North Tract

Marcy Stutzman

Jul 21, 2016, 9:31:49 AM7/21/16
to Maryland & DC Birding
Over my lunch hour yesterday (bad time for birding, but only time I had), I went for a quick drive around North Tract (Patuxent Research Refuge). The entrance is off Rte 198 between Rtes 32 and 295, next to ball fields.

Patuxent Research Refuge
North Tract
230 Bald Eagle Drive
Laurel, MD 20724
301/776 3090
http://www.fws.gov/northeast/patuxent

The most entertaining time was at the contact station itself. If you park behind the building in the shade, you'll see multiple hummingbird feeders - and multile hummingbirds! It is probably the easiest way to bird over a lunch hour. The hummingbirds seemed to take the comings/goings of humans in stride and were all about the nectar!

Many birds were singing and chipping, and a few even showed themselves - most being smarter than me and staying out of the mid-sun.

I forgot to ask the volunteer at the contact station about Range 17. Does anyone know what going on at Range 17 (trees felled, land cleared, construction equipment onsite, etc.)

Marcy Stutzman
Russett, MD 20724

Samuel Miller

Jul 21, 2016, 10:21:21 AM7/21/16
to Marcy Stutzman, Maryland & DC Birding

I believe they are trying to remove all of the lead from that plot of land. I may be wrong though.

- Sam Miller
Gambrills MD

Rod Burley

Jul 21, 2016, 10:51:51 AM7/21/16
to Samuel Miller, Marcy Stutzman, Maryland & DC Birding
You are correct Sam! It is a restoration project. They are removing all the lead from the ground. Literally taking and trucking all the trees and ground out. At least the first couple feet of dirt. They will truck in more dirt and then replant trees.

Sent from my iPhone

Dave Mitchell (Howard County)

Jul 23, 2016, 6:56:01 PM7/23/16
to Maryland & DC Birding
Stopped by today, hummingbirds were active didn't appear to be bothered by the heat. The sparrows were panting.

Saw range 1 through the fence, a few punds of lead there are mine. The smooth shutter finger is mandatory at 600 yards.