Cooper's Hawk Eating ???

James Wilson

Dec 7, 2017, 10:49:10 AM12/7/17
to Maryland & DC Birding
Yesterday I walked into my garden and spooked a Cooper's Hawk that was on the ground. I went over to where it had been, expecting to find something dead or at least some feathers or body parts. I found a small butternut squash with a few pieces missing and several marks that looked like someone had been poking at it ... or that a sharp bill had been pecking at it.

I left it in the same spot and went back today. There was more squash missing and more cut marks. I did not see the bird today or again yesterday.

The squash is a miniature variety of butternut (about 6 inches) and does not have the extra hard skin. Plus the cold and freezing temps have softened the flesh.
I have heard of vultures eating veggies. In fact, I know someone who lives near a cell tower occupied by vultures and she dumps kitchen scraps onto the ground for them and they flock in.

Anyone ever heard of a Cooper's eating non-meat?

Jim Wilson
Queenstown.