Warblers passing through Oakland Mills Garden Plots

Sarah Romero

Jan 18, 2017, 8:34:13 PM1/18/17
to Maryland & DC Birding
Around 3:45 this afternoon, 42 of these in a couple of trees at the back of the garden plots, by the power lines. Very streaky yellowish breast, wings drooped, Very yellow bar at the eye, might have been some orange in some of them. Are we looking at possible Cape May Warblers? And the dark one by itself...fanned tail, black and orange...a possible American Redstart? This early??
fullsizeoutput_1638.jpeg
IMG_1954.JPG
IMG_1956.JPG

stan arnold

Jan 18, 2017, 8:43:25 PM1/18/17
to Sarah Romero, Maryland & DC Birding
I think they are Red-winged Blackbirds, Sarah.

Stan Arnold
Ferndale

On Wed, Jan 18, 2017 at 8:13 PM, Sarah Romero <sarah.m....@gmail.com> wrote:
Around 3:45 this afternoon, 42 of these in a couple of trees at the back of the garden plots, by the power lines. Very streaky yellowish breast, wings drooped, Very yellow bar at the eye, might have been some orange in some of them. Are we looking at possible Cape May Warblers? And the dark one by itself...fanned tail, black and orange...a possible American Redstart? This early??

Sarah Romero

Jan 18, 2017, 9:02:03 PM1/18/17
to Maryland & DC Birding, sarah.m....@gmail.com
Maybe some of them, but the streaky ones with yellow? Can't be.

David Greenspoon

Jan 18, 2017, 9:08:21 PM1/18/17
to Sarah Romero, Maryland & DC Birding
Those look like female red-winged blackbirds.

Eric Kershner

Jan 18, 2017, 9:14:59 PM1/18/17
to David Greenspoon, Sarah Romero, Maryland & DC Birding
Agree.   They appear to be red-winged blackbirds. A few males and mostly females. Female red-winged blackbird are the most missed bird on ornithology tests.

Sent from my iPad

Sarah Romero

Jan 18, 2017, 9:16:27 PM1/18/17
to Maryland & DC Birding, sarah.m....@gmail.com
THIS is why I love MDBirding. Thanks for helping me learn. I need a spotting scope. I swear.

Sarah Romero

Jan 18, 2017, 9:18:06 PM1/18/17
to Maryland & DC Birding, sarah.m....@gmail.com
ps: they did look quite yellow in the afternoon sun, though. Just sayin'.

Sarah Romero

Jan 18, 2017, 9:50:00 PM1/18/17
to Maryland & DC Birding, green...@gmail.com, sarah.m....@gmail.com
I feel so validated knowing this.

JAMES SPEICHER

Jan 18, 2017, 11:28:24 PM1/18/17
to Sarah Romero, Maryland & DC Birding, green...@gmail.com
Nix on the spotting scope for general birding...but maybe a binocular
upgrade is indicated :)

No feedback on the Canon 10 x 42L to this point...anyone?

Jim Speicher