New recording device for iPhone .. new audio

JimC

Apr 27, 2017, 10:57:07 AM4/27/17
to Maryland & DC Birding
I posted an audio file directly recorded from my phone a month ago or so and many of you did not seem to be able to hear much—even tho' it sounds like a war going on over here on the edge of the marsh. (12mi W. Salisbury)

I found a $30 item that makes recording realistic for non-pro, infrequent users like me. It's even sensitive enough to show the remarkable difference between bird activity at 6am versus 7am in the same spot. I attached the mic to my wife's broken iPhone 6.

The microphone an EIM-001 by Edutige. Picture and audio attached. The audio is pretty much raw as I don't really have the time to learn to edit properly. (I also may have needed to lower the volume in the phone to dampen the steel drum sound in the recording) Cheers.

Jim
6am-marsh.m4a
7am-marsh.m4a
Mic1.jpg
Mic2.jpg

Marcia Watson

Apr 27, 2017, 6:32:21 PM4/27/17
to JimC, Maryland & DC Birding
Cornell Lab has posted some tips on making audio recordings with a smartphone at https://www.allaboutbirds.org/how-to-record-bird-sounds-with-your-smartphone-our-tips/?utm_source=Cornell%20Lab%20eNews&utm_campaign=e010104078-Cornell%20Lab%20eNews%204_17_2017&utm_medium=email&utm_term=0_47588b5758-e010104078-277984993

Marcia
<6am-marsh.m4a>
<7am-marsh.m4a>
<Mic1.jpg>