Poplar Island 10/17/2017

Tim Carney

Oct 18, 2017, 10:35:12 AM10/18/17
to Maryland & DC Birding
A windy but pleasant day at Poplar Island yesterday.

There was a large influx of October passerines. Sparrows and kinglets were everywhere. There were Hermit Thrushes on the road and Northern Flickers perched on marsh grasses. Certain structures/trees held 3-4 Eastern Phoebes each. There was also a bit of a hawk flight during the mid-morning.

The best bird of the day was a NELSON'S SPARROW which posed nicely but dropped before I could get a photo.

Lingering shorebirds included American Avocet, American Golden-Plover, White-rumped Sandpiper, Western Sandpiper, and dowitcher sp. among more expected species.

The most unexpected bird was a Northern Mockingbird at the building complex.

Surprisingly I saw no scoters or other diving ducks aside from the expected Ruddy Ducks.

eBird checklist with photos: http://ebird.org/ebird/view/checklist/S39990722

Tim Carney
Parkville, MD