Black Tern at Piney Run Park Carroll County

jcdlm...@aol.com

May 4, 2016, 1:41:29 PM5/4/16
to mdbi...@googlegroups.com

Over lake with all 6 Swallows.

Joel Martin
Catonsville MD

Sent from AOL Mobile Mail

Hugh David Fleischmann

May 4, 2016, 4:06:49 PM5/4/16
to mdbi...@googlegroups.com
Has anyone gone to see the Black Tern? Please advise if it is still there or if it is gone! Thanks.

Amazing Birding in 2016!

Hugh David Fleischmann

May 4, 2016, 5:12:07 PM5/4/16
to jcdlm...@aol.com, mdbi...@googlegroups.com
The Black Tern is still present at Piney Run Park lake. It wasn't even that difficult to find among the hundreds of various swallows swarming over the lake. It was slightly larger than all the swallows and whenever it banked in flight it flashed its gray wings at me. The only bird out here that showed a black body with gray wings with a white spot underneath.  I was able to get pictures on it that clearly show the differentiation of the black versus gray. I will post. I'm going to get closer now to see if I can get better pictures.
Lifer #297. And I would not give myself a lifer unless I was totally sure.  Again, based on the rarity, I will post pictures.

Amazing Birding in 2016!

On May 4, 2016, at 1:41 PM, jcdlmartin via Maryland & DC Birding <mdbi...@googlegroups.com> wrote:

Hugh David Fleischmann

May 4, 2016, 5:52:30 PM5/4/16
to jcdlm...@aol.com, mdbi...@googlegroups.com
Not the best picture but clearly identifies the primary field marks for a Black Tern in full breeding plumage.
Thanks to Joel Martin for letting us know. I love lifers!!!!😄😍😊
image1.JPG

Amazing Birding in 2016!

Richard Edden

May 4, 2016, 9:56:16 PM5/4/16
to Hugh David Fleischmann, jcdlm...@aol.com, mdbi...@googlegroups.com
"clearly"!

I am not even sure whether there is a bird in your shot. ;-)

Hugh David Fleischmann

May 4, 2016, 10:31:56 PM5/4/16
to Richard Edden, jcdlm...@aol.com, mdbi...@googlegroups.com
Look in your field guide and you will see this bird and it's very unique field marks  "clearly" displayed in a blurry fashion. LOL.

Amazing Birding in 2016!