Wheaton Regional Park today 9/25

Gail Mackiernan

Sep 25, 2016, 12:28:35 PM9/25/16
to mdbi...@googlegroups.com
Hi all,

Actually not as lively as we had hoped, with the cold front. A good selection of migrants, several Firsts of Season, but not as much diversity. We personally had 10 species of warbler, best being a Cape May at the white house and a late, bright adult Canada in Brookside's native plant garden. Magnolias and Yellowthroats were the most numerous warblers, and the only vireo we saw was Red-eyed. Other birders did report additional species, though. Thrushes were good, with FOS Gray-cheeked feeding in vines near the lake, along with Swainson's and Wood. A FOS Winter Wren in tangles near the lake as well. Expected, but did not see, any Broadwings 😕

Gail Mackiernan and Barry Cooper
Colesville, Md

50 species (+2 other taxa)
Birds of interest:

Wood Duck 11
Great Blue Heron 1
Black Vulture 1
Sharp-shinned Hawk 1 Flyover
Red-shouldered Hawk 2
Ruby-throated Hummingbird 2 In gardens at Spanish Flag vine
Belted Kingfisher 1
Northern Flicker 15
Pileated Woodpecker 1
Eastern Phoebe 3
Red-eyed Vireo 5
Blue Jay 25 Mostly in flyover flocks
House Wren 3
Winter Wren 1 First of season
Ruby-crowned Kinglet 1
Eastern Bluebird 1 flyover
Gray-cheeked Thrush 1 First of season
Swainson's Thrush 3
Wood Thrush 1
American Robin 25 Estimate
Gray Catbird 25 Estimate; about half in gardens
Brown Thrasher 2
Cedar Waxwing 4 flyovers
Black-and-white Warbler 1
Common Yellowthroat 13 4 in gardens
American Redstart 1
Cape May Warbler 1
Northern Parula 3
Magnolia Warbler 15 5 in gardens
Blackburnian Warbler 1 dull immature
Chestnut-sided Warbler 5 3 adults with chestnut flanks
Black-throated Green Warbler 8
Canada Warbler 1 Late; bright adult. In native plant garden at Brookside.
Eastern Towhee 2
Scarlet Tanager 2
Rose-breasted Grosbeak 2

Sent from my iPad