Swan Creek 2/25/2015

Tim Carney

Feb 26, 2015, 12:36:23 PM2/26/15
to mdbi...@googlegroups.com
Official census yesterday. 50 species, lots of birds, nothing mega-extraordinary but still several highlights. The most notable discovery was a large number of COMMON MERGANSERS. In 3.5 years of working on or near the site, this was my first time seeing this species here. There were only 4 records on eBird before yesterday. The mergs were all over the river and I even saw 2 on the beach in the wetlands. There were even more Common and RB Mergs farther out towards Baltimore that I did not put on this list.

Other good birds: Gadwall, Green-winged Teal, Red-breasted Merganser, Brown Creeper, Gray Catbird, American Tree Sparrow, Fox Sparrow.

Sad to see so many dead ducks (at least 10-15) on the ice out in the Patapsco River, but the gulls were reaping the benefits of it. I guess the ducks froze. Fortunately duck numbers were high and I had at least 1500 each of Canvasback and Lesser Scaup.

Full list: http://ebird.org/ebird/view/checklist?subID=S22069680

Tim Carney
Canton, MD

*** NOTE: Swan Creek/Cox Creek is an active industrial site and mitigation project in northern Anne Arundel Co. Access is at the end of Kembo Road off Fort Smallwood Road near 695. The site is open ONLY Monday through Friday, 7:00 a.m. to 3:30 p.m. Please be in your car and leaving at 3:30 p.m. Remember to always sign in at the office, to be on your best behavior (people have worked hard to coordinate this access), and to stick to permitted areas. This Swan Creek map linked here details where you are and aren't allowed to walk. http://www.billhubick.com/docs/swan_creek_map.jpg.