Swan Creek 12/4

Tim Carney

Dec 5, 2017, 1:03:41 PM12/5/17
to Maryland & DC Birding
I surveyed Swan Creek yesterday and it was one of the best censuses of the year. The weather was great, and there were birds everywhere. Highlights were many, but these stood out the most:

DMCF:

Long-tailed Duck 1

Woods/wetlands:

Tundra Swan 18 flyovers
Virginia Rail 4 (high)
Marsh Wren 2
BLUE-GRAY GNATCATCHER 1 (late)
PALM WARBLER 1 (late)

Restricted areas:

Eastern Phoebe 1

I also tallied high counts of Northern Shoveler, Lesser Scaup, Ruddy Duck, Winter Wren, and Fox Sparrow, among others.

eBird checklist: http://ebird.org/ebird/view/checklist/S40924904

Tim Carney
Parkville, MD

*** NOTE: Swan Creek/Cox Creek is an active industrial site and mitigation project in northern Anne Arundel Co. Access is at the end of Kembo Road off Fort Smallwood Road near 695. The site is open ONLY Monday through Friday, 7:30 a.m. to 3:30 p.m. Please be in your car and leaving at 3:30 p.m.. Remember to always sign in at the office, to be on your best behavior (people have worked hard to coordinate this access), and to stick to permitted areas. This Swan Creek map linked here details where you are and aren't allowed to walk. http://www.billhubick.com/docs/swan_creek_map.jpg. ***