Elkton Marsh and other Cecil Birds

Lin Just

Feb 25, 2015, 3:25:08 PM2/25/15
to mdbi...@googlegroups.com
Stopped by Elkton Marsh after dipping on the gulls at Northeast Town Park. Both a Dark and a Light colored ROUGH-LEGGED HAWK, put on quite a show. The Dark we initially spotted in a cedar tree alongside the marsh, then flew across us alongside the marsh. Quite a show! My husband was able to get some shots of the Dark. I don't have too much experience with Rough-leggeds, but the Dark looked like an adult, very dark individual, with contrasting dark and white below. I did not see the distinctive wrist patch as shown in Sibleys, as the juvenile. Port Deposit still had the WHITE-WINGED SCOTER. Beautiful day to be out with low wind.

Lin Just
Colora, Md

Linda Just

Feb 25, 2015, 4:12:18 PM2/25/15
to Maryland Birding
Just posted my birds on e-bird.  Looks like the MERLIN I had at Elkton Marsh was flagged as rare.

Lin Just

Lin Just
Colora, Md

Linda Just

Feb 26, 2015, 11:10:03 AM2/26/15
to Maryland Birding
Sorry all, The Black phased Rough-legged hawk was actually perched in a deciduous tree, next to the solitary cedar tree.  I need to look more carefully at my e-mails before I press send!

Lin

On Wed, Feb 25, 2015 at 3:25 PM, Lin Just <lju...@gmail.com> wrote:

Lin Just
Colora, Md