Poplar Island 04/23/2018

Tim Carney

Apr 24, 2018, 2:46:09 PM4/24/18
to mdbi...@googlegroups.com
Yesterday was a productive day at Poplar Island. Many breeding birds arrived between yesterday and the prior census. Snowy Egrets, Cattle Egrets, and Glossy Ibis were back in the heronry. I found seven pairs of Willets and 19 Osprey nests. Seaside Sparrows were singing in four of the cells. I counted 20 Black-necked Stilts and eight Virginia Rails.

Lingering waterfowl included one each Tundra Swan, Long-tailed Duck, and Red-breasted Merganser, plus eight Black Scoters.

Shorebird species diversity was reasonable, with the highlights being two American Avocets and an early Semipalmated Sandpiper.

Interesting passerines (heard only) on Coaches Island included White-eyed Vireo, Pine Warbler, and Yellow-throated Warbler.

No Common Gallinules yet. I did not see any American Oystercatchers yesterday, but my coworker spotted one this morning.

Tim Carney
Parkville, MD